Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone else have this problem? >

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 PM

Whenever I go to JoAnns I literally have to hold my breath to walk in the doors due to the extreme scent of some items that they have in their entrance. This time of year it is the cinnamon scented pinecones. On Monday I was there with my Mother and we both ended up with a severe headache due to the overwhelming scent of the pinecones. They were located in an entrance that has outer doors and a set of inner doors. Every time the inner doors opened the smell came inside the store. As soon as I got into the store, my sinuses were plugged or running and my eyes were watering. A few minutes later the headache started.

I guess that I'm ranting now, but could someone explain to me how the over powering scent of perfumes and such are so much different from the smell of smoke to people with allergies??? Personnaly I am allergic to perfumes, dyes and such so I avoid anything like that but then am subjected to it when I enter JoAnns!!! Then the fabrics that they carry smell like it too!!!

Getting down off the "soap box" now... :oops: Thank you for letting me rant/vent about this. :oops: Was just wondering if anyone else has this problem.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 AM

maybe it was just me... or maybe it is becuase our JoAnns does not have a "foyer"... I noticed the pinecones at the door.. but didnt notive a scent....
I'm sorry ur having so much trouble. I know some scents are really agressive and overwhelming..... I don't understand why they have to make it so strong....
Old 11-24-2010, 01:55 AM

Know exactly what you mean, I too have the same reaction to some scents, have to hold my nose and not breathe when going past a perfume counter, or someone smoking, etc..gets me instantly with headache, runny nose and sinusus.I guess we have an allergy to lot of things My hubby complains because he can't wear his aftershave anywhere near me, and I can only use non perfumed products.
I would love to be able to wear beautiful perfume !! but sadly it's not to be. :(
Old 11-24-2010, 03:37 AM

Yes, my Joann's does the same thing...it's very overpowering
Old 11-24-2010, 03:49 AM

It has to do with the type of fragrance used on/in the products or the fixative used with it. Usually it is because it is a synthetic rather than a natural fragrance.

My daughter works for a candle maker and they use the all natural essential oils which limits the allergic reactions to only those people would be allergic to if they encountered them in nature.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:24 AM

I find those pinecones very strong smelling & yes I have an allergic reaction to them.
Sandra
Old 11-24-2010, 04:30 AM

I am allergic to Pine trees and perfumes so i know what you're talking about.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:23 AM

So many stores do things like that forgetting that it can be overwhelming for those of us with allergies. I've had to move in church, theaters, shopping, restaurants, etc. do to people that do the same thing---bathe in scents that are offensive to my sensitive sinuses. I've even had blisters in my throat due to men's cologne.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:38 AM
Google Goddess

yes, I have allergies and can't be around the candles, perfume etc.

you should say something to the manager and maybe they can move them out of the foyer area, too small of a space for the perfumes
Old 11-24-2010, 05:54 AM

Amen. My friend had to leave Joanns because she could not breath. We did let the management know and they moved them from the entrance to the inside of the store, but still a problem for allergy prone people I am sure.