Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have this problem besides me? >

Does anyone else have this problem besides me?

Does anyone else have this problem besides me?

Old 01-27-2011, 02:57 AM

It seems like I never get anything finished, just keep going from one project to another and not finishing what I've started. I do have a few quilt tops finished, but as far as quilting them - yeah right. I've started hand quilting one of the tops I finished, but just keep going from one thing to another. I search this site and others on the internet for new projects, it's like a never ending cycle for me. As far as quilting on the machine, I have so much trouble out of that, I have finished small quilts and they turn out just fine, but when it comes to a larger one, well I just have so much trouble out of that. Does anyone have any suggestions at all for me? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 AM

FMQ on your machine is hard with large quilts. Maybe you could quilt them stitch in the ditch or echo and then you could use a walking foot. Much easier. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 AM

UFOs, unfinished objects, are a symbol of a quilter, some have more than others but every quilter has at least one, or more :twisted:

I have just found out about "Big Stitch" quilting, http://sewprimitive.blogspot.com/200...-examples.html using #8 Perle cotton and an ordinary needle I did 3 small UFOs in just a couple of days. My really big quilt that was giving me problems on my machine is now half finished and looks lovely.

Threadart has a sale on at present and I have bought a load of the lovely Perle cottons for it: http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=283 their colours are so lovely I feel like eating them :lol:
Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by passionforsewing
when it comes to a larger one, well I just have so much trouble out of that. Does anyone have any suggestions at all for me? Thanks.
Sure, do what I do: send them to a long arm quilter! There are lots of talented ladies on this board who do LAQing, at great prices. I realized long ago that I HATE quilting, but I like the piecing, and that life is way too short to wrestle a big quilt through the throat of a small machine, or to quilt by hand. So go for it!!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 AM

Have you thought about local churches, I know alot of the churches around here have ladies that will quilt your quilt for you. Usually a waiting list but its cheaper than a longarm service, and your tops are just laying waiting anyway, you could get on the waiting list. Our local quilt shop has longarm services but they are very high priced. If a quilt shope doesnt have a longarm service they usually can tell you who in the area does longarm. Joanns and hancocks also has a bullentin board at the front of the store where people post quilting services. I've seen longarmers here on this site that do beautiful work, very reasonable compared to what we have locally. I personally have never sent mine out, but I have inquired because I have some quilts that I want to be better than what I can do. You could also tie your quilts instead of quilting, thats what my grannie used to do.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:30 AM
Banned

I have at least 12 different ones all the time. Don't worry, we all feel you pain :-) I love making the quilt tops but after that I am bored. So I usually end up leaving them until I need to get rid of them or give them away and then I finish them. No worries :-)
Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
UFOs, unfinished objects, are a symbol of a quilter, some have more than others but every quilter has at least one, or more :twisted:

I have just found out about "Big Stitch" quilting, http://sewprimitive.blogspot.com/200...-examples.html using #8 Perle cotton and an ordinary needle I did 3 small UFOs in just a couple of days. My really big quilt that was giving me problems on my machine is now half finished and looks lovely.

Threadart has a sale on at present and I have bought a load of the lovely Perle cottons for it: http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=283 their colours are so lovely I feel like eating them :lol:
What a different look! I have lots of Perle cotton from when I used to do a lot of needlework, this would be a great way to use it up.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:05 AM

i can not afford to send my quilts out to be quilted or rent a long arm for a day so i took me husbands chalk line tool and had my daughter help me and i put straight lines starting from one corner stretched it to oppisite side diagonally and marked it every 4 inches from that line then sewed that with straight stitch then marked oppisite dirrection and sewed when finished it was a 4 inch diamond all over quilt i did 5 that way for christmas
Old 01-27-2011, 05:08 AM

i tried doing free motion but with my little sewing machine it to hard to do large quilt and someone said i need to get the little clear plastic washers to put behind my bobbin and i have not manage to find them in my area all 5 quilts was queen size and one was a blue jeans material quilt
Old 01-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm..... not sure what your problem is other than being a creative artist!! lol
I also have too many ideas and projects for the amount of time and hands needed.
Sorry I'm no help! :D:D