Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have this problem besides me? >

Does anyone else have this problem besides me?

Does anyone else have this problem besides me?

Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by faithsmamaw
i tried doing free motion but with my little sewing machine it to hard to do large quilt and someone said i need to get the little clear plastic washers to put behind my bobbin and i have not manage to find them in my area all 5 quilts was queen size and one was a blue jeans material quilt
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...le&code=145025 Most quilting suppliers stock them, hope they help.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 AM

Sounds like we could be sisters. I love to make tops but handquilting is so slow for me..... pain in my right hand gets too much after awhile...... I don't have much luck with machine sewing those large quilts either. But, having a few tops folded and waiting to be quilted is not so bad. They look beautiful on a shelf or hanging beside a bed on a drying rack. If I let it worry me too much, they'd have to put me in a hospital..... so don't worry...... be happy!!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Banned

I try to quilt a little bit each day. You will be surprised how much progress you will make even working just 15min a day.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 AM

what are the little plastic washers for? I hadnt heard about them before.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by faithsmamaw
i tried doing free motion but with my little sewing machine it to hard to do large quilt and someone said i need to get the little clear plastic washers to put behind my bobbin and i have not manage to find them in my area all 5 quilts was queen size and one was a blue jeans material quilt
www.keepsakequilting.com sells them. I was just looking in one of their catalogs and saw those and wondered what they were for.$9.99 for a set of twelve. They are called "Little Genie Magic Bobbin Washers." Here is their toll free number too 1-800-865-9458.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Try quilting in sections to get your tops done. I did that on all my large quilts before I got a longarm, and it really works. Marti Michell has a book that explains a number of ways to divide up the bulk of the quilt so it will fit in your machine. Some of the methods even work if you've already pieced your entire top.

Or... pick your prettiest top and send it to a LA quilter. When you get it back you may be so pleased to have it DONE that you will be ready to tackle the other tops.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by passionforsewing
It seems like I never get anything finished, just keep going from one project to another and not finishing what I've started.
You are probably a “creative process” person rather than a “completed project” person. These people, like me, often have more fun in the design, color pulling, piecing, and how-does-it-all-work-together process than we do in having the completed quilt.

I have UFOs nicely packed away that are over 25 years old. Some of these are nothing but a roll of the fabric pull for a quilt-to-be! Every once in a rare while, I come across a started one and get creative with it all over again by figuring how to enlarge it or add borders --- now that the fabric for it is mostly unavailable.

But long ago I was told that even though Michelangelo, and Beethoven, and other great artists, left work undone, no one denies *their* genius. It’s been my greatest guilt release ever.

Gotta leave *some* inheritance to the kids!

Jan in VA
Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 AM

I am so thrilled at everyone's response. I too cannot afford a long arm quilter, which I have two very close friends of mine that own one and one has offered to do a couple of mine for "FREE", but cannot seem to take advantage of this. Feeling guilty I guess. I admit I too am soooooo slow at quilting, picked up one that I've been working on this morning and have started with the long stitches and I'm actually liking it, but still it's too slow for me. Think I will stop worrying so much about it all now and be happy with the "tops" finished. Thanks to everyone who came to my "rescue". I feel so much better now.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 AM

i also have quite a collection of ufo
Old 01-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

How about doing some SID and then add some hand quilting too? No rules saying you can do both. Maybe handquilt while watching tv? :D:D:D