Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have this problem besides me? >

Does anyone else have this problem besides me?

Does anyone else have this problem besides me?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 AM

UFO's are a problem? I always set half finished projects aside because I get bored with them. I start something else, and something else, and something else... when all of a sudden that old project calls my name and I frantically sew and sew on it. Sooner or later I get them all finished, usually years later!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 AM

I have 4 or 5 quilt tops waiting to be finished. And I am moving on to piecing a new quilt top.

I figure after this quilt top I will have to get into the finishing mode and finish all of them, before starting a new project. Yeah, we'll see if that happens. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
what are the little plastic washers for? I hadnt heard about them before.
I was wondering the same thing, so I checked the link someone posted. It seems ot help the bobbin flow better so you dont' get backlash and birds nests underneath.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by pkary
UFO's are a problem? I always set half finished projects aside because I get bored with them. I start something else, and something else, and something else... when all of a sudden that old project calls my name and I frantically sew and sew on it. Sooner or later I get them all finished, usually years later!
This sounds "Just like me".
Old 01-28-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by passionforsewing
It seems like I never get anything finished, just keep going from one project to another and not finishing what I've started.
You are probably a “creative process” person rather than a “completed project” person. These people, like me, often have more fun in the design, color pulling, piecing, and how-does-it-all-work-together process than we do in having the completed quilt.

I have UFOs nicely packed away that are over 25 years old. Some of these are nothing but a roll of the fabric pull for a quilt-to-be! Every once in a rare while, I come across a started one and get creative with it all over again by figuring how to enlarge it or add borders --- now that the fabric for it is mostly unavailable.

But long ago I was told that even though Michelangelo, and Beethoven, and other great artists, left work undone, no one denies *their* genius. It’s been my greatest guilt release ever.

Gotta leave *some* inheritance to the kids!

Jan in VA
Thank you so much for I was beginning to think I was just making messes everywhere and never going to finish anything, some things I do finish though, it's just I do get bored, then start something new, get bored with it and so on, then go back to them eventually. I have a small section of a cathedral window quilt my mom had taught me how to make when I was 19 and now I'm 52 and yep, it's still not finished and I truly love this quilt, she'd made one and finished it in no time - all by hand. Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:19 AM

I have problems doing the large quilts to. My machine arm is short making it very awkward, and I prefer to hand quilt smaller projects.
I was shown different methods of "quilt-as-you-go" and this is wonderful!!

Try making yourself finish 1 or 2 projects, then as you realise what else you have you will get excited and finish UFO's once in a while and start to catch up (I do)

:roll:

Heather
in Australia
Old 01-28-2011, 03:19 AM

I too was wondering about the washers, and this is what the web site said
"Eliminate backlash and bird's nests on the underside of free-motion quilting, embroidery or thread painting by slipping one of these slippery Teflon washers into your bobbin case. Fits longarm and domestic machines. 12/pkg.
"
Old 01-28-2011, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
FMQ on your machine is hard with large quilts. Maybe you could quilt them stitch in the ditch or echo and then you could use a walking foot. Much easier. Good luck.
I also like diagonally cross-hatching. I use a long straight edge and mark corner to corner both ways. Once that is stitched, I mark lines the width of my 5" or 6" ruler. Then I start from that center line and stitch each line going toward the outer corners. Does that make sense?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
UFOs, unfinished objects, are a symbol of a quilter, some have more than others but every quilter has at least one, or more :twisted:

I have just found out about "Big Stitch" quilting, http://sewprimitive.blogspot.com/200...-examples.html using #8 Perle cotton and an ordinary needle I did 3 small UFOs in just a couple of days. My really big quilt that was giving me problems on my machine is now half finished and looks lovely.

Threadart has a sale on at present and I have bought a load of the lovely Perle cottons for it: http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=283 their colours are so lovely I feel like eating them :lol:
Too cool! I went to the site and the large stitching is pretty :0) Some how I thought it might look amaturish(? spelling) but not so. And the Perle cotton is a great price! Thanks, Sarah
Old 01-28-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by passionforsewing
It seems like I never get anything finished, just keep going from one project to another and not finishing what I've started. I do have a few quilt tops finished, but as far as quilting them - yeah right. I've started hand quilting one of the tops I finished, but just keep going from one thing to another. I search this site and others on the internet for new projects, it's like a never ending cycle for me. As far as quilting on the machine, I have so much trouble out of that, I have finished small quilts and they turn out just fine, but when it comes to a larger one, well I just have so much trouble out of that. Does anyone have any suggestions at all for me? Thanks.
Yeah! I got several started and plans for others haha. I think QuiltingAddict has a good suggestion. I'm going to read through some more as I need the help too! lol Have a good one, Sarah