Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: does anyone know about antique buttons

I bough a 1/2 gal jar of vintage some are brass picture buttons, some are mother of pearl. What ones are valuable

Blog Entries
    At a guess, the picture buttons. But be sure to get an educated
    guess from an expert.

One lady on this forum once wrote in that she had gotten her GMs old jar of buttons and found GMs engagement ring in among the buttons. Probably hidden there and obviously life got in the way and it was forgotten.

you can pick up books at the library- or amazon with pictures of old ones-
    also check on line. buttons are plentiful...i have buttons from the 1600's & 1700's they last a long long time.

Blog Entries
    I know my gd loves my button box and they are all old she was thrilled when she discovered them. now she has grannies button box.
    your so lucky!!!
    Sandra

It depends on the size, the picture, what its made of. If you can, post some photos. If not, look for "The Big Book of Buttons". That book has pictures, history and a price guide, although the prices are probably out of date now.

Somewhere I have an old sewing basket (we moved!) that is full of old buttons on the original cards. Some were Australian crystals with gold trim. My memory says they were about 10C per card. I think those with the price help establish the age of the buttons. There are old scissors and cloth tape measures and other interesting things I had collected over the years. I must find that box that holds my sewing basket.

Do any of you have old sewing baskets? If they have been passed down through the family they have much sentimental value. Treasure them and pass them on to other family members...

June in Cincinnati

The metal picture buttons are probably worth more. Go through and see if there are any that look like they are plastic and deteriorating, they may be giving off a smell. Take those out and separate them from the other buttons. They give off a gas or something that is harmful to the old buttons.