Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone know anything about legitimate work at home opportunities? >

Does anyone know anything about legitimate work at home opportunities?

Does anyone know anything about legitimate work at home opportunities?

Old 03-27-2011, 12:51 PM

I am getting e-mails from Jobs at Home and Ryan Cline on a regular basis. I was wondering if anyone on the board has heard of these or has any experience with them or with other WAH opportunities. My family really needs another source of income. I've thought about trying to set up a table with things to sell at the Raleigh flea market (about 120 miles from my home). I've also thought about trying to sell a few things online. Any thoughts or feedback you may have on this subject would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 PM

you can set up a shop on etsy. I don't know how, but I have bought several items from there.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:02 PM

I've thought about etsy too. Actually my husband and daughter have some jewelry for sale on etsy so we already have an account with them. The jewelry didn't sell though. I've thought about adding some of my things to their page and seeing if anything sells. I have a few pieces of vintage furniture to sell, but I don't know how to handle shipping of large pieces. I know it can be done, but I don't have any experience with it.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:04 PM
bj

I've been getting a lot of WAH opportunity emails, too. I'd like to know how they got my name! I started getting them right after I opened a facebook acct., but they may be totally unrelated. They aren't all from the same person, though. There's about 4 that rotate. I don't even open them. One thing my friend did was mailing invoices from home for a dr's office. My dil does mailings for a realtor she knows. You might call around and see if there's anyone needing help in your area. Maybe call a jobs company and see if they have any jobs for SAHMs. Might cost a fee initially, but maybe not. Good luck! It's so hard to commit to staying home with kiddos when finances are tight.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:17 PM

I read something not long ago about a man who wanted a work at home job. before it was over he had invested thousands of dollars. One time years ago I thought to do the same. Make beaded earrings. I thought hmm I can do that. I paid their price, BOUGHT their beads, made earrings and they told me it would not pass their inspection. All in all they got about $50.00 + out of me... taught me a lesson pretty cheap. ALTHOUGH back then you could buy a lot for under $100.00..... Be very very careful re: work at home schemes..... ((((hugs))) Lots of people buy from craigs list and sell on E-bay or one of the others on line. NEVER meet anyone in your home or go to their home. Go to OPEN restaurant or some place of business and never go alone...l. re: Craigs list buying or selling... (unless by mail) (((be careful)) :)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:44 PM

I've thought about trying to set up a table with things to sell at the Raleigh flea market (about 120 miles from my home).
--------------------------------
Go to the flea market and check out what they have and what is selling. One of my Texas daughters said that she and her handicapped DH made as much on weekends as she did at a full time job.
Said that lots of silly things sold, such as wooden ducks you stick in the ground, plywood cutouts of the rear of a fat woman bending over ( all nicely painted), with wooden stuff like that was easy for a handicapped man to make with simple power tools. She also sold lots of strange beadwork she made, and dressed Indian dolls (American Indian).

But you must find out what is selling in your area. Should you have a near by Civil War re-inactment then sun bonnets for adults and children might sell nicely, along with matching aprons.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM

And another thing, I'd start entering sweepstakes. Sometimes the wins are nice, I've won a lot over the years, but it takes lots of patience, postage and persistency. And there are masses of this online, but do be VERY careful what you click on or you'll find you have ordered a year's worth of magazines.

The law states that you do not have to buy anything to enter sweepstakes. Contests are or might be totally different. Some of them you must send in recipes, but I'm not too sure they pull the winner from the best recipe. READ THE RULES. Then read them again, slowly. Copy and past them on a letter and make them larger and separate them by paragraph, then read them again. When using snail mail, be sure to mail in letters at least 3 days before it ends.

I've won most from the Second chance sweeps. And less from the online ones, have won from them, but infrequently.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:15 PM

If you have large furniture to sell, stick to Craigslist. Not worth it to ship it anywhere.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM
bj

Still thinking....My dil has a friend who sells homemade dog biscuits/treats online. They have homemade treats at the kennel where our dogs board. That might be a possibility. Another friend makes those twirly skirts that are the rage right now and can't make them fast enough. She puts sparklies in between the layers. Not sure how she does them because she doesn't really sew much.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:04 PM

If you are pretty good on the computer you might look into typing up patient transcripts for doctors and hospitals. I know a couple of people that do that and they are so busy they hire extra help. Takes some software and a little while to get a good list of clients but pays good. Works if you are in a place with quite a few dr's offices and a couple of hospitals. Not sure how or where to check on getting into this but you might ask at your dr's office.