Doggy having Seizures...

Old 09-21-2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
Anyone who has a dog with seizures: can you answer this? IS your dog more aggressive right after his seizures? Finn can't stand for me to touch him and tries to bite. He NEVER bites anyone when he is OK!!! He doesn't recognize me... and growls at me. I have to talk and talk and talk to him from across the room before he wags his tail. This worries me as I am afraid he will become very aggressive if we medicate him and even more so if we don't.
Our Zoe had seizures several times a day. She was quite a quirky character, but never aggressive.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I didn't read the whole thread but I had two dogs who had seizures. My half lab and my little shish-tzu who just left us.

Do you have your house and yard sprayed? That could be one of the reasons. Stick to one type of food for a while and monitor what he eats. Keep a tap on when he has them and what he did just before or where he was.

The thing is that the medicine he would take for seizures will also damage him....so check out some herbs too.....
I only use Vinger and hot water for cleaning my floors becaust of my dog she has pancreitis and now is in kidney failure.I also beleave diet can mean every thing to an animal
Old 09-22-2010, 07:12 PM

My cat Schmoo started having seizures at around 6 years old. Same thing as your beautiful Sheltie, it's a typical epileptic seizure, more common in dogs than cats.

Schmoo was on Phenyl Barbitol for a year and I then weaned her off because apparently it shortens their life by weakening their liver. She (knock wood) hasn't had one since, but she's always been a little nutty, zoning out and running around spazzy like on occasion.

I would at least have the dog checked out, but if he's not having them often there might be organic medicines than can lessen the severity of the seizures that won't hurt him.