Doggy having Seizures...

Old 09-14-2010, 07:57 PM

I have a 6lb female yorkie that has several seizures a month every month and we were told the same thing. It doesn't look good to watch and I just can't stand it, but we pick her up while she is having one and just hold her as firm as possilbe, and then just hold her for a long while afterwards until she is ready to be let down. She always tries to get to us right before she has one. She usually doesn't have much of a warning, but she is never far from us. It just makes her feel better to have us hold her and love on her as it does scare her. They don't know what causes it, and I don't want her on medication either. She is 12 years old now and has had them ever since we have had her as a baby. We were going to breed her but deceided against it when we she had seizures. We didn't want to take any chances on losing her. I know its scary, but I'm sure your baby will be ok. Just make sure to give him lots of loving afterwards.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 PM

We have a an 11 year old black lab who takes phenobarbitol for seizures. It is so horrible watching them go through that. She hasn't had one since she started on a low dose of that medication.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 PM

Find another Vet. My Lab has has seizures for 6 yrs. and the vey put him on phenabarb right away. he's doing great w/o med problems. He might have 1 or 2 a year now.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:40 PM

Mamagus,

I too, have a standard poodle who has seizures. Hers will last up to 6 or 7 minutes; and she is pretty out-of-it for a good 30 to 60 minutes after a seizure. Fortunately, she only has them every few months. I treat her with Phenobarbatol (sp?), only after a seizure: one as soon as I can get her mouth open since during a seizure her jaw is locked shut, and a second pill 12 hours later. BTW, she has had them almost all her life; and she is 14 now.

I recommend you go back to you vet and ask more questions (don't forget to cover the agressive behavior), after you go online to the Amer. Vet. Assn. website and read up on seizures. Food alerigies cause a lot of problems, and you may want to have him tested. Then, if you still feel like you need it, seek a second opinion.

Several people have stated that the medicine has a lot of negative side effects, and I agree. If you can hold off on the medicine for a while, it would be better for your beautiful pet.

One thing that you do need to know: once the neuro-pathways are opened up for seizures, they 'connect' faster each time another seizure happens. You will want to keep track of them so your vet will have good information when the time comes for your pet to be placed on meds. Make sure you know what to look for so you'll be able to recognize when he has had a seizure when you weren't present.

Good luck, and belly rubs to your pet.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:49 PM

First off I just want to say what a beautiful dog.My mini dachshund Tasha who passed away this last may at 15 years old had seizures the Vet said the same thing until she had more of them. She wouldn't put her on meds well that day came she had 3 or 4 all in a day. She was put on the meds for seizures and never had another one after at.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:39 AM

One of my furbabies had seizures, but once he was on medication he never had another one and lived another six years until passing away at 12 years of age.

The medication did not leave him altered mentally or physically in any way.

I'd get a second opinion.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:52 AM

Pretty dog, sorry to hear he's having problems. Second opinion a must. I couldnt watch this happen.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 AM

if your not happy with your vet get a second opinion, I had a cat that had seizures when she was stressed just moveing her in a carry cage brought it on, she lived to a ripe old age with no medication, it is distressing to watch but they do get over the seizures after a few minutes, as long as there are no other symptoms he should be ok.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 AM

what a beauty---my girlfriend has a shepherd mix who has them and her vet said the same thing---unless they have more than one a month, there is no reason to start the medicine---not only is it expensive, but once they start it is for the rest of their life. Her vet told her to just make sure she is comfortable, she is feeling nothing and love her lots when she comes out of it. Hang in there.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:30 AM

What a beautiful dog. I have a rat terrier that has diabetes and has gone blind. I have to give him insulin 2 times a day. I searched on the internet and there was a wonderful support group out there with dogs that had the same thing. I got wonderful advice and help through some had times. I do agree if you are not happy with what you vet has told you it would not hurt for a second opinion. Wishing you and your furbaby many more years together.