dog's hot spots.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM

What to do?!!? A month ago when the first spot emerged on our dog's face, a tea oil/ ale vera/ chamomile spray from the pet shop worked. The spot went away. This week it's back and worse. I think it's the storms we've had and the tensions my husband and I were under to cope with all that rain. (not much compared to others but this was a lot for us.) Last night when came home thru a horrible lightening show, our dog was half under the bed and he had pawed and the spots open again. I think it's his nerves! He has an appointment at the vet's on Friday. Anyone else have this problem and what have you done?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

You might want to try a thundershirt for him. Works not only in thunder storms, but also to soothe and comfort. Here is a link to them on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Thundershirt-A...dp/B0028QK6EY/
Old 09-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Go see your vet ... we used to get a steroidal med to help our pooch when this happened!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Google Goddess

I hope the vet can figure out what is wrong with your dog

I wonder if the dog is scared of storms and scratch so much that it makes sores

I take an unscented fabric sheet and rub on the back of my dogs neck before the storm gets to our house and sure has calmed her down and she is now no longer scared of storms and it worked

my friend in Texas also did this to her 3 dogs (2 are labs and a medium dog) and they are no longer scrared of storms

Good Luck and let us know what the vet says.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

I give my puppies pet ease....purchased at pet store...to ease stress...all natural!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:10 AM

We have a corgi and have problems with him chewing on his legs/feet. He is either licking or biting (for lack of better description.) He is tan so where he bites, etc, they are now ugly brown. What helps is to give him allergy meds and then he sleeps all day. Hate to drug him up so if anyone has some suggestions I would certainly appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

Not sure if these would be called hot spots or not. Never had a dog in our home before. Much less a "pampered" one. :-D Honestly he thinks he is human.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bobbie1
We have a corgi and have problems with him chewing on his legs/feet. He is either licking or biting (for lack of better description.) He is tan so where he bites, etc, they are now ugly brown. What helps is to give him allergy meds and then he sleeps all day. Hate to drug him up so if anyone has some suggestions I would certainly appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

Not sure if these would be called hot spots or not. Never had a dog in our home before. Much less a "pampered" one. :-D Honestly he thinks he is human.
Just as with humans self-diagnosis is so wrong. You really should see your vet for a proper diagnosis, so you can treat the problem in a timely fashion and in the proper manner.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by bobbie1

Just as with humans self-diagnosis is so wrong. You really should see your vet for a proper diagnosis, so you can treat the problem in a timely fashion and in the proper manner.
He has been to the vet twice. They don't know what the problem is. They are the ones who put him on allergy meds.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

I used to be a vet tech so felt necessary to say go to the vet before trying home remedies. Hot spots could be fleas, dermatitist, skin infection, allergies, etc. Many OTC remedies can make them worse.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I used to be a vet tech so felt necessary to say go to the vet before trying home remedies. Hot spots could be fleas, dermatitist, skin infection, allergies, etc. Many OTC remedies can make them worse.
add to that ... ticks, lice,