dog's hot spots.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Bev

My elderly dog gets them too, occasionally. Our vet gives him steroids and an anti-itch spray for us to use on him. Once poor Max got one that became infected from all of the scratching he did. He had to wear a Sun Bonnet Sue cone on his head until it all cleared up. I have no idea what causes them, or how I could get them cleared up without the vet's help. But try to keep your dog from scratching them constantly or they'll become badly infected! 8-)
Old 09-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Buddy is looking a lot better but I think the meds make him sleepy. While he's sleeping, he's not scratching. So hopefully, when he is healed, he won't feel like scratching.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 PM

If a dog is having frequent skin problems, it could possibly an allergy to the corn used in a lot of dog foods. If you suspect such a problem, and are feeding a food with corn in it, switch foods
In this house, there are no foods fed with corn in it, because we get skin problems
also, if the thyroid is off, that could be the culprit too
Old 09-18-2011, 10:15 PM

For 11 yrs, we have treated hot spots on Malamutes with peroxide and Gold Bond Powder. Sev times a day, clean spot with peroxide. Dry with clean pc of cloth and really powder heavily with the Gold Bond. It takes a few days but it works. My Vet told me to do this the 1st time one of ours had a hot spot. I also trimmed the hair away from the spot.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
For 11 yrs, we have treated hot spots on Malamutes with peroxide and Gold Bond Powder. Sev times a day, clean spot with peroxide. Dry with clean pc of cloth and really powder heavily with the Gold Bond. It takes a few days but it works. My Vet told me to do this the 1st time one of ours had a hot spot. I also trimmed the hair away from the spot.
After reading all of the posts I tried Gramof6's suggestion. Of course my Corgi stays in house and I didn't want something that would get on carpet and stain so I tried the Gold Bond. AMAZING! WORKS!! Spots are drying up and new hair back on foot. Thank you Gramof6 for an economic way to take care of this problem. Max didn't want any part of it to begin with but now he lays down when he sees the Gold Bond bottle. I think he finally realized that his life is better when he sees the bottle. teehehe. Thanks again.