Easter Surprise

Old 04-08-2012, 04:36 AM

Default Easter Surprise

A month ago I ordered 27 new baby chicks, to replace our aging flock. They were set to arrive some time the week of April 9th. You guessed it....I just (8am) got a call from the regional US Post Office, an hour away, that our chicks had just come in! The hatchery, Murray McMurray is supposed to notify us when they are shipped, and I read the email from them 15 minutes before I got the call....some notification! I'm just glad we were home and don't have to leave for church for several hours yet. How appropriate to get these sweet babies on a day when so many celebrate a new life!

Happy Easter everybody....this is one we won't forget!!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:11 AM

the post office called on a Sunday? what would have happened if no one was there? they could of arrainged that better. Nothat I am complaining just curious.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:32 AM

I love baby chicks. I used to have chickens and really enjoyed them. Makes me miss country living. So glad you were home to receive the call.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:53 AM

Congrats on the new babies! Be sure to post a pic or two when you get them home and settled!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:39 AM

I don't miss the big chickens but I love going to the Runnings store and looking at the baby chicks.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 PM

I only have two very old small chickens and one is still laying eggs! They have to be at least 10 yr! Fox got the larger hens after the hugh snow storm of a couple of years ago. Boy do I miss fresh eggs from my own hens! My one that is still laying gives me an egg about every three or four days. Enough for us because we don't use many but I did go to using our duck eggs for hubby's sugar free cupcakes and, as long as he thinks they are made with hens eggs, he thinks they are delicous! LOL Goose eggs for pancakes aren't to his knowledge either but it sure keeps me from having to buy the dreded store eggs and at such a price!!!! No where near the quiality of your own fresh eggs from you own chickens.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:07 PM
kbs

Got my e-mail today, McMurray sent out my chicks on Saturday. Should get my call in the morning. Two days in a box, they sure will be ready to drink.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 PM

We were just lucky that a very kind postal employee called us today so they didn't have to sit all day in that box. I bought 13 Black Austrolorps and 13 Red Stars and two Dominiqies. We also got one of their free chicks...don't know what it is....very pale yellow and has a turban on top if it's head. I checked many of the breed pages but have not seen any like it. Anyone have any ideas?

These girls sure are cute....can't help but chuckle at their antics. Guess I won't get much done tomorrow....LOL!

Good luck with yours.

Originally Posted by kbs View Post
Got my e-mail today, McMurray sent out my chicks on Saturday. Should get my call in the morning. Two days in a box, they sure will be ready to drink.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 AM

Got to the local feed store in time to look at the chicks, ducks and baby rabbits. No place to keep them, have a Rat Terrier and he would think they were lunch. Anyway, I got to look. LOL
Old 04-09-2012, 06:49 AM

Lucky you - Dad occasionally had a few chickens in the back yard when I was young. I especially remember the Banties and their cute little eggs. Wouldn't mind having a few now!