Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Embroidery machine - free standing lace question >

Embroidery machine - free standing lace question

Embroidery machine - free standing lace question

Old 12-01-2016, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Yes, if you can, slow your machine...one of mine is slowed to 350per, but my little Disney 180 has no speed adjustment, and I have no probs with stitching. Oh, now and then it will start a nesting, but I catch it, cut away, back up several stitches and go again. I mostly use the WSS that looks like woven fabric, ..sometimes add a piece of the vilene...but the best tip I can give you is to hoop your stabilizer (1--2 layers) with a layer of bridal tulle...you know the fine net that veils are made of. It will provide stability for the stitches and blends as if part of the FSL. It is also wonderful for emb towels and nap fabrics (and it's cheap) I'm making snowmen, bells, Angels ornaments to add to my Xmas cards. For gifts, I'll be making candle jar wraps. So you can tell I am happily sewing FSL...and it's so pretty! Give it another go...good luck. Oh, one more tip..move your thread away from the machine on a stand, and drip a couple of mineral oil swipes down the wound thread.
I second Mermaid's advice about the tulle. She suggested I try it when I had a similar problem. I put the tulle between two layers of WSS and it worked great.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by onemoe View Post
check embroidery library. they have a lot of tuts
I have, thanks, it was one of their patterns and one of their tutorials. Their patterns have always worked well for me, with my limited experience, so that's why I believe the fault lies with me and my inexperience.

I really appreciate everyone's assistance with this. I was able to get a different type of stabilizer as well as some tulle today, so I hope to find time tomorrow to give things a whirl again!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

i've had that problem too. i double the heavy duty soluble
I want to try the paper one that dissolves. I can't find it here.

please let us know how it works out and show us too.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:00 PM

MissKitty5, I LOVE what you said about the '2 ft rule'! Isn't that so true? It never, ever fails, turn around to do something else and BAM, thread breaks, bobbin balls up, you name it, it will do it! Others will see me just sitting there watching, and ask 'ya asleep? Nope, just watching the design...lolo

All very good hints - new, sharp needle, double layer of Wash n' Gone, clean bobbin area & slow machine if you can. It just takes patience to embroidery, but so satisfying. I love doing FSL. Just relax and have fun..
Old 12-02-2016, 04:46 AM

The 2 foot OR LESS rule is one I follow--too bad I don't always follow it but it is true
Old 12-02-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
i've had that problem too. i double the heavy duty soluble
I want to try the paper one that dissolves. I can't find it here.

please let us know how it works out and show us too.
My experience with the paper soluble= ..I find that mine tears while stitching. It is a lightweight and there may be stronger, but is absolutely useless for dense stitching--medium dense stitches, and almost all 'fill' designs. And the bobbin area looks like you poured flour or cornstarch all over. I do like it for lightweight/ sheer fabric and simple designs...but even then I will slip another piece under the hoop. The plus is that it completely goes away with laundering or wiping with wet washcloth/ sponge.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:49 PM

I don't like the "film" stabilizers. They tend to pull apart during stitching, especially along the edges. Once it pulls apart your design can shift in the hoop & it's a total loss from there.

For FSL I like to use "Vilene Water Soluble Embroidery Stabilizer". It looks & feels like fabric. Holds it's shape well & doesn't pull apart during stitching. You can save cost by trimming off outer areas when done stitching & glue them together using a damp finger. Make a new piece big enough to fit your hoop. Less waste. I'd post a link, but am not sure it's permitted.....so Google "Vilene Water Soluble Stabilizer".
Old 12-02-2016, 04:31 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563055[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]563056[/ATTACH]
Ok folks - progress report time!
Here are the pictures to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks!

The first picture is after soaking but I still have a little more trimming to do (maybe). The second picture is before soaking and trimming.

I used two layers of Pellon 541, one cut on vertical and the other cut on horizontal. I also sandwiched a piece of tulle between those layers.

I also made a second bookmark, but haven't gotten a picture of that one. I even got brave enough to leave the room briefly several times while I was working on that one, but only for very brief periods.

And I managed to get through a bobbin change on that second one too!

Now tell me why two bobbins, wound with the same machine, (with the same thread except for being a different colour), have only enough on the second one to do 2/3 of the design before needing to be changed, when the first one had enough thread and more left over on one bobbin????
Attached Thumbnails purple-bookmark-before-trimming-sm.png   purple-bookmark-pre-soak-sm.png  
Old 12-03-2016, 04:39 AM

Oh, so pretty! You were successful and now you will be hooked on fsl. Check this site for some free snowmen and bells ornaments- http://www.embroidery-broderie.com/ These are 2 of the designs I mentioned for tucking in my cards this year. And not as many stitches as your bookmark. Re the bobbin thread--??--perhaps the machine was in a cantankerous mood and didn't wind as tightly; hence less thread. I hate it when my bobbin runs out, don't you?
Old 12-04-2016, 06:15 AM

I agree, all of your possibilities are a consideration. My best suggestion is to either double or triple the stabilizer depending on how big it is, and slow down your machine. You also never said what kind of thread you were using. When I'm doing things for the kids that won't last I use serger thread, for it I have to double the stabilizer, slow down the machine and go to a size 90 topstitch needle. Topstitch needles are good for FSL..