embroidery machine

Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 AM

Default embroidery machine

Been thinking about buying a embroidery machine but don't know how much I would use it. What would be a good inexpensive one to buy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:35 AM

I have the 350e Janome embroidery machine and love love it not problems and now thinking of upgrading to their new coming out 500......I was unsure when I bought mine wondering if I would make good use of it and I have used it quite a bit...I seem to go in spurts with embroidering....but I'm glad that I did buy it...I also mainly purchase my designs from Embroidery Library....love love that site......
Old 10-07-2015, 06:48 AM

Mine is a cheap Brother that only does a 4 in design. It was around $300.
So it depends on how big you want the embroidery to be.
It is a great machine but would like a bigger design so I can quilt a quilt block by block. Using a redwork type design.
Ive made a baby quilt with teddy bear designs Have blocks made for a round design in a 6 in block and a bunch of blocks done in mother goose designs.
Not interested in clothing embroidery, just quilting.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

The cheap ones usually have such a small hoop. It is a bigger investment with all the threads you will want for your projects. I have had two friends get one and they didn't realize how many spools of thread you need (or want). Not to mention the interfacing.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:05 AM

I use the Brother LB-6800 and have had no problems at all. I bought the Project Runway package which included a ton of thread....I do wish I had bought a machine that can accommodate larger patterns. Mine can only go up to a 4 x 4 and I'm hoping to upgrade to one that can accommodate 5 x 7 patterns.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I have a lot of quilting friends who swear by Brother embroidery machines. And they tell me to buy the larger hoop size, 5-7 inches not the 4 inches for a starter machine. Machine embroidery is not cheap. The expense is not the machine it's the supplies. One of my friends wins awards for her machine embroidery and she uses up to five layers of tear away stabilizer. No puckers and her embroidery stays soft. The others are too cheap to use a lot of the supplies and their work looks like it. Some are so stiff they won't bend.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:57 AM

This is the one I have. I bought it years ago and use it often. The reason I suggest this one is it comes with everything you see in the photos. I am still working on the box of ready made bobbins. I save them when emptied and put the matching color of thread I am using on a project like making lace items.

It seems like a lot of money upfront but everything you need to get started is all in one box.
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Embroi...brother+pe+770

I also bought this hoop set:
http://www.amazon.com/Elipse-Embroid...0_SR160%2C160_
Old 10-08-2015, 08:44 AM

I have the Brother PE540D. Although I really like it I wished I would of bought one with a bigger embroidery space. Mine is only 4 x 4. I thought this would be a great starter but you outgrow it quickly. My GD & I have had a lot of fun with it. I do recommend the biggest hoop size your budget allows though.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:35 AM

My friend has the Brother PE770, she loves it. She bought it on-line, so it did not come with any lessons. She also bought the additional hoops that fit. She has a hard time getting any help from the local dealer. There are a lot of lessons on-line for free. I have the Husqvarna Topaz 20 - I bought the floor model so got a great deal, and it came with lessons.
The biggest thing to me is the computer program that helps you put the designs together is what is very important. My dealer did not tell me about the programs (probably because he doesn't sell them). Depending on what you want to do with your machine, will determine the program you want to buy. My machine came with a very basis program, then I did some exploration and found out there were more out there. I bought my program at the Road to CA quilt show, the dealer didn't spend much time with me to explain the difference between the programs, so some of what I wanted was in the next program up. But I am happy with what I have, just wish I had more.

Just take your time, don't be too hasty, because once you get into it, you will want to do more. We have a Brother dealer in town, they don't sell the additional software because they know it scares people off, but can teach people the ins and outs of the basic machine too. I really recommend talking to a dealer.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:37 AM

My DH gave me a Brother he bought at Hancocks for three hundred dollars and I love it. It uses the smaller hoop but it is just what I need and I can hook it up to my computer and buy all the patterns I need.