Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric in cloth diapers

Fabric in cloth diapers

Does anyone know what the absorbent layer in the cloth diapers is? There seems to be a layer of fleece on one side and flannel on the other side but haven't figured out what is in the center.

Do a Google search to find out.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure either, however, while researching feedsacks, I see walmart sells them in bundles and people make diapers out of them because of their absorbancy....Hope you find it and let us know. Learn something new everyday. Hugs
    "Keep Smiling, Keep shining..knowing you can always count on me....for sure.
    That what friends are for...

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Found this.....

Bamboo is a material being used in cloth diapers these days due to its sustainability and absorbency. Bamboo is a good, green option since the bamboo plant is rapidly growing and regenerates itself quickly. According to allaboutclothdiapers.com "Bamboo is naturally anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. This porous fiber absorbs moisture and wicks it away from the skin, leaving baby cooler and drier than cotton or synthetic materials."
    Birdseye cotton is a classic cloth diaper material which has been used for years. The weave of the cotton collects the moisture. This material is fast drying, making it great for line drying.
    "Keep Smiling, Keep shining..knowing you can always count on me....for sure.
    That what friends are for...

Blog Entries
    You can buy the fabric. I bought a bolt of "gause" like Curity used to make their cloth diapers from. I don't know where to buy it now as the store I bought mine from closed. You could google gause for making diapers.

Bamboo is not as eco-friendly as they like to advertise as it takes a lot more to break down the fibrous material. Cotton is just as sustainable and has been made into fabric for years. How much bamboo grows in the US?
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Plenty of info about making cloth diapers on line. My boys' diapers were commercial gauze, some pre folded and others had to be folded.

Years ago, when my son was born in 1977, I made my cloth diapers using birdseye. It's much softer then the Curity gauze and very absorbent.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
    Bamboo is not as eco-friendly as they like to advertise as it takes a lot more to break down the fibrous material. Cotton is just as sustainable and has been made into fabric for years. How much bamboo grows in the US?
    Good point about where Bamboo is grown.....this is a good unbias article on Bamboo.
    http://green.wikia.com/wiki/Bamboo:_...ndly_Fabric%3F

I'm so over buying anything from China...we ship boatloads of money to china and they ship us led toys and plastic crap in return.

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/Bir...oth-White.html

Here is just one link for Birdseye

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast