Fabric for Rag Rug

Old 09-15-2015, 04:22 PM

Default Fabric for Rag Rug

Does anyone know if I would get better results when making a large rag rug if I use cheapy vs LQS fabric? I'm thinking I might do better with cheap fabric since it frays more, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have experience? What did you use?

Thanks, QB-ers!!!!
Old 09-16-2015, 06:19 AM

As there are different types of "rag rug" perhaps more info, such as a picture, pattern?? Many rugs made from fabric are considered a rag rug.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:32 AM

http://www.myloveofstyle.com/2013/04...-rug-tutorial/

I'm using a pattern from a book I own, but the pink & white rug pictured on the above website is the kind of rug I'm making.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:55 AM

Thanks for posting that link - I love that rag rug! In looking thru the comments, several people said they used old tshirts for the fabric. That would certainly cut down on the cost. Years ago I made a rag rug using old sheets, but it became very bulky to work on and just about rubbed my fingers raw from tying all those knots. I would think the tshirt fabric would be much softer.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

I crochet some rugs using calico fabric strips I was never going to use in a quilt. Just simple crochet with a large wooden hook. That was popular in the early 80s.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
http://www.myloveofstyle.com/2013/04...-rug-tutorial/

I'm using a pattern from a book I own, but the pink & white rug pictured on the above website is the kind of rug I'm making.
I looked at the website and like the rug. You are going for a frayed look??? The website author used cotton interlock, which is a stretchy knit cotton that does not fray at all along cut edges. Quilting cottons are woven, so they will fray. I would think it is much easier to use stretchy fabrics for this quilt, as it takes a lot of manipulation to get the fabric through the holes and tied into a knot. If you want a frayed look, I would not count on cheap fabrics fraying more than LQS fabric. I think the deciding factor (aside from fraying and ease of manipulation) would probably be cost. The author on the website used 11 yards of cotton interlock (which is usually sold in 60" widths, I believe) to make a 4'x6' rug. Made with quilting cottons, I think the same size rug would require at least 16 yards of fabric. My local LQS sells most quilting fabric for $12/yard which would make this rug very expensive.

Edit: I just checked on fabric.com and their cotton interlock fabric is indeed 60" wide (about $9/yard).

Last edited by Prism99; 09-16-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:35 AM

I also use sheets found at goodwill, etc. Much cheaper to make since they require so much "fabric".
Old 09-17-2015, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I would not use fabric that frays. That would not hold up long if you plan to use the rug. Often these are made with t-shirts / knits that do not fray
Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I crochet some rugs using calico fabric strips I was never going to use in a quilt. Just simple crochet with a large wooden hook. That was popular in the early 80s.
I am currently making a rag rug using leftover bias cut binding strips cut in half and then crocheted. It is LQS quality fabric, and will have what ever colors I have extra binding of. I watched YouTube videos to learn how, and used the largest crochet hook I had ("K/101/2-6.50mm") and it is working well. The only thing I don't know is how well the bias will wash. If it comes apart, I will start sewing down the center of each strip before using it. Here is a picture of my progress....
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:28 PM

I cut strips of old, thin sheets, folded the raw edges to the inside (this makes 4 thicknesses) and crocheted with a huge plastic hook. It was my very first attempt. I increased stitches on the corners as example on internet and it turned out well. Eventually it needed to be washed so I put it in an old pillowcase and hoped for the best. I laid it on the deck rail to dry and it turned out great. Lays nice and flat.