Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who Do You Think You Are.... >

Who Do You Think You Are....

Who Do You Think You Are....

Old 09-14-2015, 08:58 AM

Default Who Do You Think You Are....

Have you ever entered a quilt or quilts in a show and when you saw them hanging beside all the other beautiful quilts thought...Who Do You Think You Are... having your colorless, blah creations mixed in with these beautiful quilts? That's kind of how I feel after a show this weekend.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:10 AM

We are all our worst enemy. We need to step back and appreciate what wonderful things we can and do create.

Yes, I have been there and can understand BUT I am trying to learn to see the beauty in my work, too.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I have not ever entered anything for any type of show competition. But when it comes to quilt shows, don't they have to meet certain criteria? If they didn't think your quilt was worthy of being in the show, wouldn't they tell you ahead of time? Congrats on being in the show. That is something to be very proud of. Would love to see your entry. I'm sure it's beautiful.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Contrast makes life interesting.

Your quilts may have been more subdued, but if they are appropriate for who/what you made them for - that is more imprtant than having the one with the most pop.

You put something in a show - I think that is brave - especially if this was your first show.

Now that you've looked at the other quilts - did/do like them well enogh to make something similar?

Or are you okay with what you have been doing?
Old 09-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I've only entered into shows hosted by a local quilt guild. There are always quilts there that are nicer, and some that are perhaps not as nice. But that's okay. If every quilt were the same there wouldn't be a show. When you look at all the "better" quilts you can either feel intimidated or energized. Sometimes I waffle between the two, particularly if it's a big show with nationally known quilters. But I try to be motivated to make better quilts, try new techniques, venture into new color choices, etc.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:30 PM

Never fear, for every subdued quilt there are viewers who prefer subdued quilts. Personally, I love to see something different. When they are all art quilts, I think it gets boring. Show your quilt with pride. Beginners to experts need to see different ideas. A good show will include all quilts.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

It takes a lot of quilts to fill a show and I am sure they are glad you participated. I don't make show stoppers but rather quilts to be used.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:01 AM

When I criticize my work, a friend always reminds me that we (quilters) are our own worst critics. You should pat yourself on the back for trying and having the courage to enter a show. I'm doing it for the first time this weekend.

Mobridge mom, I love your signature.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:08 AM

I haven't entered a contest yet, but once I took a quilt class with 5 other women making the same quilt and I was surprised at how 'homey' my quilt was compared to theirs. I like my quilt but theirs were stunning. Different fabrics in their quilts were the reason, mine was really blah compared to anything they made.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I enjoy seeing all kinds of quilts at a show. Yes the awesome ones that I will never make and take my breath away but I spend as much time amongst the ones that I might attempt and enjoy watching them as much. I agree, I never entered a quilt in a show, you should be proud you did.