Facebook

Old 06-01-2016, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I've been on Facebook for a couple years. It has helped us in need of reaching family members in emergencies. SEnding a "pm" (private message) for those who need to know certain information not to be made public. You can control your own page. If you're having trouble registering, reboot. Have you tried other sites? If you're getting the same thing then it's your computer. Just try the reboot. Once you get in save it for your go to to log in. I am not computer savvy and did it on my own. It is also up to you to control who your friends are allowed on your page. If you don't like a page you can always opt out by "unfollowing or hiding'' certain sites. Just because some one says they are mutual friends doesn't mean you have to "friend" them also. I was getting a few 'military friend requests. Unless you actually know them, don't friend them. You can see where most are from. If they state they live in a foreign country such as Afghanistan, they will try to scam you out of money. Just a heads up . Most people get on to keep in contact with family who live further away. If you're unable to attend a family function because of distance it's a great way to see photos asap.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

I'm with tessagin on this. Facebook serves a purpose for me. I have very few "friends" and only share certain information and have lists on who can see what I post. Which is benign. I never post anything political or religious or share anything.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by tapper View Post
I cannot get into Facebook. I am wanting to set up an account. I typed 'Facebook' into the address bar. I get a google
page.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=faceb...hrome&ie=UTF-8

When I click on Facebook(first one) I get the gobbledygook. I have tried each of the headings under that(Facebook, Sign Up, M.facebook.com etc) but each one I tried led to a page of gibberish.
To be sure that you are getting the proper page for the real Facebook, put "www.facebook.com" in the search box. You might be running into a fake Facebook account that is full of malware ( computer poison) that your computer security is trying to save you from. That might be why you get gobbledygook gook. Count your blessings and try again. Hugs.

I have a huge number of cousins and that is how we all stay connected, since we live all over America. Facebook has allowed us all to reconnect.

Last edited by madamekelly; 06-01-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:13 PM

I love my facebook. I have reconnected with family members i never would have otherwise.
Facebook is what you make of it.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:53 PM

The link I posted should have taken you to the sign-up page, . Have you tried using a different browser ? Sure wish we could help you get to Facebook , so you can set up an account. I have a feeling that the problem is either Chrome, or your computer. I would, as someone suggested, restart your computer and if that doesn't work, try a different browser.
I've been on Facebook for five years with no problems. I've also reconnected with family that haven't seen for years, even some in another state that I've never met ! I like being able to keep up with what's going on with my family, and I love seeing all the photos that I would have otherwise missed.
There are many privacy settings , and you don't have to see anything on your newsfeed that you don't want to see. If someone posts things you don't want to see, just unfollow them, no need to unfriend. I don't accept friend requests from people I don't know ...and some that I do know
Old 06-01-2016, 02:01 PM

No Facebook here. I have enough internet obsessions that take up WAY too much of my time as it is. I don't need another one.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:49 PM

I agree, it is nice to see what other family members are up to, without having to call them all up and ask, "What are you up to?" But I guard my privacy on FB. No pictures of me, as a matter of fact I Googled myself the other day and there are NO pictures of me ANYWHERE on the internet!! I am ecstatic!! I do not give out my birthday or address either.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:26 AM

My sister has a tendency to put everything on Facebook. Information that I think should not be made public AT ALL. When Our father was ill, and you would think she was the sole caretaker. Yet it was me, she never helped. Now Mom is having issues and it is all over Facebook. I have asked her many times not to put pictures up, she said it is her right to put family picture there "to share with the extended family"...well not those of my husband, our "family", of me or of our business and I demanded them taken down. She gets angry because I don't make an effort to contact distant relatives. Most I have not seen since we were children. Many, I would not know if they walked past me at the mall. And quite a few, I want nothing to do with.
She almost lost her ability to see her only grandchild because she posted pictures of the child.
For a very short time, like 20 minutes, I had an account. A friend had a music blog that I kept up with. At one point, I was fearful of him committing suicide. I tried calling and texting him. Out of desperation, I contacted him by Facebook. He immediately contacted me, and I was able to get him to seek help. Within the time that the account was open, I had dozens of people from my past ask to be "friended" ( not sure of the actual term) and "let's get together and re-live those old times. Sorry, I was not good enough to be your friend back then, and I am WAAAY past past the point of wanting to even acknowledge you. I closed the account....or at least it is not used. My friend is healing and for that I am thankful for that 20 minutes that Facebook was there.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
My sister has a tendency to put everything on Facebook. Information that I think should not be made public AT ALL. When Our father was ill, and you would think she was the sole caretaker. Yet it was me, she never helped. Now Mom is having issues and it is all over Facebook. I have asked her many times not to put pictures up, she said it is her right to put family picture there "to share with the extended family"...well not those of my husband, our "family", of me or of our business and I demanded them taken down. She gets angry because I don't make an effort to contact distant relatives. Most I have not seen since we were children. Many, I would not know if they walked past me at the mall. And quite a few, I want nothing to do with.
She almost lost her ability to see her only grandchild because she posted pictures of the child.
For a very short time, like 20 minutes, I had an account. A friend had a music blog that I kept up with. At one point, I was fearful of him committing suicide. I tried calling and texting him. Out of desperation, I contacted him by Facebook. He immediately contacted me, and I was able to get him to seek help. Within the time that the account was open, I had dozens of people from my past ask to be "friended" ( not sure of the actual term) and "let's get together and re-live those old times. Sorry, I was not good enough to be your friend back then, and I am WAAAY past past the point of wanting to even acknowledge you. I closed the account....or at least it is not used. My friend is healing and for that I am thankful for that 20 minutes that Facebook was there.
ye it seems Facebook is not for you. Luckily you don't have to participate. I'm
atill enjoying my account. Something for everyone I guess.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:05 PM

You're absolutely right,it's a big waste of time. I dont care to know everyone's business and I sure don't want them knowing mine. Someone hurt my grandaughter very much by claiming she was seeing her husband. It broke them up for awhile and she had a little baby.