Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Fad toys yes,but  what about "smells" from your childhood? >

Fad toys yes,but what about "smells" from your childhood?

Fad toys yes,but what about "smells" from your childhood?

Old 11-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
School paste!! Loved that stuff, Even licked my fingers ugg!
This one is weird but I loved and still do the smell of Vicks vapor rub! reminds me of grandma and ivory soap too.
I have to go with Up North's list. School paste was the first thing I thought of. We painted it on our fingers and hands, then after it dried we pulled it off.

The smell of Vicks Vapor Rub is so comforting because we always had it rubbed on our backs and chests when we were sick and it reminds me of being taken care of.

And Ivory soap because that's what we always used. I don't especially like it now though.

Also, the smell of burning leaves in the fall. I miss being able to do that.

And the smell of cigarettes. All the adults in the house smoked when I was young. I don't particularly like it, but it does remind me of my childhood. I hated ashtrays and always moved them away from me or covered them up (although not when they had burning cigarettes in them :shock: ).
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Power Poster

Bad: Camomile (we always had to drink that for upset stomachs)
Good: Pine Sol (My American friends home)
Old 11-28-2009, 11:08 PM

I remember hiking the Black Forest in Germany to Frau Schmidt's house where we would have homemade blackberry jam and homemade sourdough bread! Oh my word makes me drool just thinking about it. :D

Sauerbraten that my mom would brine for a week! Good grief that was yummy, Then there was her Blau Kraut...to die for too! :D

my Moms german potato salad (she would leave OUT onions in my portion) delicious! :D

My dad slapping Old Spice on his face before he would go out marching in the Army. He was so handsome in his uniform and smelled so wonderful. :D

UGH the smell of fish emulsion for the roses, that was my job to feed them that. I always would gag. :(

Arpage' "Promise he anything but give her Arpage'. My mom loved that and I would sneek and use it when I went to school. She liked Yardly lavender too.

Oh ya...cigaretts my parents both smoked! I hated that wicked smell, so I was never out of my bedroom. Hated it then and still hate that smell.

the rank smell of Chevis Regal scotch. barf!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
ChattyPatty and Teacup need to come see me in the spring. I have an entire hedge of purple and white lilacs along the back of my yard. And an added bonus for Teacup, I use Dove soap. You could be in smell heaven! :lol:

Lucky you! I'll be over in late April to gather a huge lilac bouquet!
Unfortunately, DH has allergies to heavily scented flowers. I can only bring in the very smallest sprig of lilac, lily of the valley, peony, etc., not the armloads I'd love to have.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:41 AM

alaskasunshine ....I had forgotten about the smell of my dad smoking. (He quit when he was 60-ish, and lived to 90!) I never liked the smell of the cigarettes, but occasionally, he would smoke his pipe. There was one tobacco that smelled so sweet. I liked that one, and every now and then I will smell that when I am out. Takes me right back.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:10 AM

watterstide.......that Jubilee....
I still use it...spring and fall housecleaning.....

Went a long time without it but have found a place that still carries it.

Shine, shine, shine........
Old 11-29-2009, 07:18 AM

:) My grandmother's fresh baked bread with olive oil. Clean linen on your bed time to dream. Aqua Net hairspray getting ready for work. Old English after shave my first boyfriend. Canalope on a hot summer day riding behind a garbage truck. - youth what we remember. Now if I could only remember where I put my glasses.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:30 PM

Cigarettes--smelled enough smoke for my whole life, would never think of smoking

Tabu Perfume--my Mom's favorite

New Crayons--I loved them when they were all sharp and not broken.....sigh
Old 11-30-2009, 04:46 PM

I'd have to say that bread baking is one of my fav's. I loved to be allowed to have a hot piece.

But I grew up on a farm, so many of the smells that I remember can't be mentioned here; but some are wet dog, cows in a warm stable, sweat, fresh baled hay. None of which I like.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:53 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Ivory Soap. That is the kind my grandmother used at her house. And a pork roast cooking.mmm mmm mmm.