Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Featherweight Do's & Don'ts???? >

Featherweight Do's & Don'ts????

Featherweight Do's & Don'ts????

Old 10-27-2015, 06:46 AM

Default Featherweight Do's & Don'ts????

I purchased a featherweight to give to my daughter for Christmas and I am wondering is there a list somewhere of Do's & Don'ts for this machine? Mostly Don'ts would be a Huge help. From a few comments on this board I understand the Featherweight can be pickey at times?

Thank You for your help.....Jazzmyn (Roseanna)
Old 10-27-2015, 07:05 AM

Such a nice gift. Have her sign up at novamontgomery.com, the ultimate featherweight tips site. Hopefully the machine has an instruction manual with it that shows all the places to oil and grease. Might want to purchase the correct oil and grease that is recommended for the machine.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

I go to Nova's site too. She is an expert on the FW. Most repair people have no idea what should or should not be done to a FW .
Old 10-27-2015, 07:37 AM

I'm a bit of a newbie, and I love Nova's site too...April 1930s is a great resource also http://april1930s.com/
and this fb page has lots of "files" and videos that are super helpful, Carmon Henry will answer any questions you have.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SingerFWGroup/files/

The biggest tip I would give is that the take up lever has to be in the upper most position in order to remove the fabric, don't pull if it doesn't pull out easily, just move the handwheel slightly until the threads pull out easily.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Can't believe this is the first I've learned about Nova Montgomery but I don't get to Rockport much. Only 45 minute to an hour drive and a beautiful drive at that. She looks familiar.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

The main don't I can think of is DON'T be afraid to use the FW. Too many of them are purchased and never used, and they really are happier if they're oiled and used frequently. In fact I need to remember to use mine more often.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:13 AM

Quite right! Use those babies...I have 3 and LOVE them
Old 10-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Don't place anything adhesive on the machine and do not use cleaners on it. The old style of finish on the machine can be damaged, for example, by placing adhesive tape on the machine (or any other adhesive to use as a guide for seam allowances). New cleaners can damage the finish and remove or change the color of the decals. If the machine needs cleaning, one of the best ways to do it is to use sewing machine on a soft cloth and just wipe the machine down. Soften heavier dirt by leaving the oil on for a day or so before wiping off.

Since you purchased the machine, I would also highly recommend purchasing a manual for it. Does not have to be an original; can be one of the newer care guide manuals. These provide lots of instructions and pictures for care and maintenance purposes.

Edit: Here are free manuals you can download and print:
http://thefeatherweight221factory.com/page7.php
Old 10-28-2015, 03:19 AM

I totally agree with Dunster- don't be afraid to use it. I have two, a 1935 and 1937 I need to check the wiring on one, but just haven't taken the time to do so, I love my 1935 FW, and use it all the time. I just finished piecing a Christmas quilt for my DD on it- using Missouri Star's tute "Illusion", and quilted it on my Bernina 930- I don't have a LG and don't want to send my quits out for others to quilt. I take mine to quilting group each month. I have made almost all of my quilts on my FW since I bought it about 5 yrs ago. I try to oil it after every project and sometimes while working on one and I let it sit overnight, and place a piece of cloth under the needle to absorb any oil drips . If your DD sews she will absolutely love it. I think the FW's are just jewels. I always list on my labels the model of machine (s) I used to make and quilt my projects and the year the machine was made, just for info for the recipient.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:33 AM

I have learned, since owning one, that less is best. I oil gently per instructions in my downloaded manual, about every 8 hours of use. My 'machine guy' says a drop of oil means a drop of oil. I'm going to let him lube my motor, as I take my machines in once a year for their annual checkups. Featherweights are so simple, yet so accurate in their beautiful stitches. I just finished a queen size Bonnie Hunter scrappy on mine (not the quilting though).