Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Featherweight Do's & Don'ts???? >

Featherweight Do's & Don'ts????

Featherweight Do's & Don'ts????

Old 10-29-2015, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
I think I've caught the Featherweight "bug" - would really like one. Am teaching my oldest Granddaughter to sew (quilt) and think it would be good for her to learn on just a basic good machine. I know where I can get one in mint condition with everything that goes with it but am not quite sure I want to spend that much. I'll be patient and; of course, Christmas is coming. ----------
I personally don't think you should teach a child on a FW......get a modern inexpensive basic machine...this could just be a passing thing with her.....btw...too bad you r not closer..I have one I am more than willing to sell!!,,,,
Old 10-29-2015, 06:52 AM

When checking the brushes on the motor, remember that those screws are bakelite. Press DOWN as you unscrew - it's counter-intuitive but will help keep you from sheering the screw head off. Also, make sure you're using a screwdriver that fills the slot completely, from edge to edge. Using a too-small screwdriver head can cause the slot to chip.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:28 AM

I would include a copy of this book http://www.amazon.com/Featherweight-.../dp/1607052636 It also fits beautifully in the case, slid down between the accessories box and the upright plate

be sure what you order if you do, is the most recent edition, the third I believe
Old 10-29-2015, 12:13 PM

Don't turn the hand wheel backwards on the featherweight or you'll get thread caught behind the bobbin case base. It often requires surgery to get all that thread out of there.