Feral cats have skills!

Old 07-15-2016, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

Default Feral cats have skills!

I thought this video clip was really interesting:
http://www.cnn.com/videos/health/201...o-orig-mss.cnn
Old 07-15-2016, 04:54 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Three feral cats became barn cats at the 200+ year old farm where I used to live. Slowly, over several years, they became "outside" pets closer to the house and cottage. We fed them, caught them and took them in for neutering and shots, and let them live in large paint bucket "condos" (on their sides) up on a table on the porch. Often they brought us birds, lizards or mice as gifts, which was a bit startling the first few times.

The males were older and eventually seemed to give up hunting, but the female (I named her Pearlie due to the white ring around her neck) was always a great hunter. I once saw her walk along the top rail of the pasture fence for at least 75 feet observing movement in the grass on either side. I miss them so much since I moved.

Jan in VA
Old 07-15-2016, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Three feral cats became barn cats at the 200+ year old farm where I used to live. Slowly, over several years, they became "outside" pets closer to the house and cottage. We fed them, caught them and took them in for neutering and shots, and let them live in large paint bucket "condos" (on their sides) up on a table on the porch. Often they brought us birds, lizards or mice as gifts, which was a bit startling the first few times.

The males were older and eventually seemed to give up hunting, but the female (I named her Pearlie due to the white ring around her neck) was always a great hunter. I once saw her walk along the top rail of the pasture fence for at least 75 feet observing movement in the grass on either side. I miss them so much since I moved.

Jan in VA
Hope the new people are still taking care of them.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:09 PM

I read that story, I thought it was so interesting.Who knew Chicago had such an infestation. I guess most large towns do especially with the houses so close together. And trash cans and dumpsters full of refuse for them to feed upon.
I haven't seen a mouse or a rat in years around my house. With 3 dogs and a cat nothing dares come into the yard let alone the house.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:34 AM
mac

It is good someone found a niche for feral cats and it is a win/win situation. No more killing them because they couldn't find a home.

Sort of reminds me of the Rudolph the Reindeer story. No one liked him and they just made fun of him until he because useful to Santa. And, Walla, he now has a purpose and everyone likes him.

Moral of the story: Find your purpose in life, and fast.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

I was shocked at the infestation of rats in NYC in the 70s. My best friend is feeding a bunch of feral cats in his neighborhood trying to get them captured and fixed. I forwarded this video to him. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:40 AM

$600??????? I thought they couldn't GIVE cats away at shelters. I'm confused. (I have 2 outside cats on my farm that work the mice population, and one of them walks with me every day when I do my chicken chores.)
Old 07-16-2016, 09:47 AM

Great story! Thanks for posting.

The Canino's Farmer's Market here in Houston have a number of feral cats (all fixed) for this purpose. Love the partnership of cat and human.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I think the article in this link explains a little more about how the idea to use feral cats for rat control developed:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/health...rol/index.html

(I only saw the video before. Didn't see this article.)
Old 07-16-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
$600??????? I thought they couldn't GIVE cats away at shelters. I'm confused. (I have 2 outside cats on my farm that work the mice population, and one of them walks with me every day when I do my chicken chores.)

It's like a placement fee. It helps cover neutering and other costs. Here is the newspaper article that came out first.