A few people have asked me about sorting the user list alphabetically.
They say it would be easier to find a person you are trying to contact via PM.
There is no need for that.
If you want to PM someone, but don't remember their exact user id, here is what you should do:
- Click Private Messages link at the top.
- Click New Topic button
- Click Find User button, a new dialog opens
- Type part of the user id of the person you want to contact, and hit the Search button
- A drop-down box appears with a list of all matching user names.
- Pick the right one and hit the Choose the user button.
- The small dialog window will get closed, and the user's id will be pre-filled into the "To user" field.
- After that, proceed to compose the message.
Additionally, you don't need to hunt for the PM button of a specific user. If you know the exact user name, you can type it into the "To user" field manually. And if you are not sure about the exact spelling of the user name, try the search procedure I outlined above.