Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Flour sack or other towels to embroider... >

Flour sack or other towels to embroider...

Flour sack or other towels to embroider...

Old 08-10-2014, 08:38 AM

I have gotten them at Walmart, not sure of the price 4 or 5 towels for about $5.00.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 AM

I buy bleached or unbleached muslin for towels then can make the size I want, works good for me.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

littleoldme....do you make the towel and then back it with another sheet of muslin?
Old 08-10-2014, 01:09 PM

I do a lot of handiwork on flour sack towels. When I first started using them I bought them at Walmart. They were 4 towels for $5.00. The problem was they are only hemmed on 2 sides. They were always very wrinkled. I had to spend time hemming and a lot of pressing. I would crochet a beautiful edging around and then a applique on them. I was never overly pleased with the results. They always looked like cheap towels because they were cheap towels. I discovered a linen company on line. They supply restaurants with linen. Here is their web address
http://www.acshomeandwork.com/c/flou...r-sack-towels/ They have several sized to chose from. The are great. All four sides are hemmed and the come nicely pressed. Now my hard work looks a lot more professional. I have sold tons of them. The money is well worth it.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:02 PM

If you buy wholesale this co. has great ones. Cant remember how much they were, do not have my shop anymore but wish I could still buy from them . They are great towels but not square ones .http://www.pkhc.com/gift.html
Old 08-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

I just bought a pack of flour sack towels at Fleet Farm. They are hemmed on 4 sides and 28" square. Cost was a little under $10 for 6.

These I purchased to make cleaning cloths for my eyeglasses. Plan to use my serger to cut each towel into 4 smaller towels. Had a conversation with my optician who said that cotton cloth is fine for cleaning eyeglasses *as long as* there is no fabric softener used on them. Fabric softener can ruin the non-glare coating. They will need to be washed separately from my other loads, so I wanted enough to make a small load without fabric softener worthwhile.

Anyway, wanted to mention that I have purchased these before to use in the kitchen. They are often cut and hemmed off-grain, and they have often become out-of-square after I wash them, so I'm not sure how well they would work for embroidered gifts. The quality of the ones I have purchased from Walmart and Fleet Farm have been the same, and I expect the quality of those from Sam's Club would be similar. If I had an embroidery machine, I think I would opt for better quality flour sack towels and see how they look after washing (before embroidering).
Old 08-10-2014, 04:59 PM

I do a lot of emb. on towls for gifts and have found some real nice ones at target. I use the wash away stabelizer that machine embroiders use, the kind that feels similar to light weight interfacing. I trace my design on a piece a little larger than the pattern and use glue stick to hold in in place on the towel. They wash up beautiful.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:24 PM

Sam's Club has multipack flour sack towels. They are so big you need to cut them in half and hem the newly created raw edge. They need to be pressed before you embroider them. Several people I know use them for the purpose you described. The packages contain 12 towels--the yield is 24 after you cut them. Be sure to open a package to see if that is the fabric you want. froggyintexas
Old 08-11-2014, 03:38 AM

Check out Ikea, bought some flour sack type towels for $.79 each. They have an assortment of colored narrow stripes down each side. Have embroidered on them, they hold up well.

Sylvia
Old 08-11-2014, 09:11 AM

Atwood's that is if you have one. Good ones, the ones I have gotten at Walmarts are sorry.