Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: draw string bag

draw string bag

My grand daughter wore out her store bought one---so we made her a new one.She loves this little bag/back pack
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Very cute!! I like this style of bag, so practical!

I should make some of these...my area has a ban on plastic bags and a restriction on single-use bags in general that starts next month and I am way behind on my plans to make myself a bunch of bags! These would be great for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    Very cute!! I like this style of bag, so practical!

I should make some of these...my area has a ban on plastic bags and a restriction on single-use bags in general that starts next month and I am way behind on my plans to make myself a bunch of bags! These would be great for that!
    It was pretty easy and the 1st time we used grommets also-do not fear the grommet
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

a restriction on single-use bags
    Can't use plastic but can toss a bag after one use?
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    came out much nicer and more colorful than a store bought one.
    Now you can go into the business!!!
    Bet she loves it more too
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Great bag for her! Love the grommets!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Great bag. That is all the students at my school are allowed to carry

That is so cute.....Where did you get that fabric?, I love it!!
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Granddaughter 6th grade allows backpack to school but must use a drawstring bag to classes...don't know why!!
    Looks like I'm going to need pattern or instruction to make one! Yours is cute!!
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

I'm sure there are lots of free patterns available, but here's a link to one.... you need to scroll through for the English version. http://happyinred.blogspot.com/2012/...-tutorial.html

Blog Entries
    Cute...all of her friends will want one like it!

Great job on that!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Can't use plastic but can toss a bag after one use?
    Well, the whole point is to discourage using disposable/single-use bags of any sort, and to stop the use of plastic bags in particular as much as possible. So they've put a restriction on both paper and plastic bags that are not designed to be used multiple times. This means that the paper bags at the grocery store are classified as "single use" bags and they are also included in the restriction.

In fact the only "single use" bags that will still be allowed is going to be paper bags. Stores can still give them out, but they have to charge a minimum per-bag fee. I think it's 15 cents per bag minimum, and stores can charge more if they want to (and some are already charging this or more, even though the law isn't in place yet).

Restaurants, I think, can still use plastic for to-go food, and I think thrift shops can re-use paper and plastic grocery bags without charging a fee as long as they were donated (used) bags and not newly purchased bags....there's some weird clauses to it and I don't know all the rules yet.

You can still bring in your OWN "single-use" plastic bags, or paper bags to reuse and that's fine. But most stores won't be able to give out or sell plastic bags anymore, unless it's a reinforced bag designed to be used multiple times. (A tote bag, in other words.)

It's all a little inconvenient but I think it's a good idea overall. I'm already in the habit of bringing reusable bags to the grocery store; I just have to remember now to bring them to the fabric store, the clothes store, etc. and make sure I have a good stash of bags in my car at all times!

We've been using cloth bags for years, and most shops charge for a plastic bag now and it's $.25. Just remember to wash your bags regularly so you aren't harbouring germs from vegie dirt etc. At first it was a pain in the neck... now we're so used to it, we don't think twice.