Gatlinburg, TN must sees?

Old 06-17-2016, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

You will really enjoy your trip. I have been up to the top of Clingman's Dome, Cades Cove, The Candy Shops, rode the Tram up to Ober Gatlinurg and drove it as well (went ice skating there) and yes gorgeous scenery as anyone can see. The Blue Ridge Mountains are gorgeous, and a wonderful experience driving through the Cherokee area. I have been a few times through Biltmore House and Gardens, and it was well worth it. Dollywood is one of those places you just have to see. The rides, shows etc. are up to scale with Disney World. Miles and miles of beautiful scenery, and wild animals on your drive. Clear fresh streams and water falls coming down off the high rocks of the mountains. You could never go through all the shops available. Townsend is the location of the old 'Christy' Shows. The way I would describe the mountains right now is "Lush". I have relatives who live in Chicago, and other northern states and cities that all describe their trip through East Tn. as some of the most beautiful scenery they have ever seen.
Have a good safe trip!
Old 06-19-2016, 05:13 PM

Everyone - thanks so much for all the tips. I'm even more excited now and can't wait!
Old 06-20-2016, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat View Post
Don't miss my fav quilt shop.Beautiful fabrics & the nicest people.

Machine Quiltin' by Iva. 1020 Old Knoxville Hwy, Sevierville, TN (865) 428- 8008.
Plan to go alone ....LOL My hub sits on the porch after saying " remember,we will be back next yr".
Lots & lots of fabric,patterns & just a lot of goodies connected to quilting. People are super,all willing to help.Enjoy.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:26 AM

Update: I'm back from my trip and was able to do almost everything you all suggested! It was a wonderful trip and yes, I would definitely describe the area as "lush"! Almost everyone we encountered was so friendly and helpful. We went on some hikes and Clingman's Dome is a challenging uphill hike. We got our workout for sure! Sadly, Quiltin' By Iva was closed and a note in the window said that she recently passed away. I did not see anything indicating whether or not the shop will re-open, close, or be sold. Thanks again for all the wonderful tips, it was a great place to visit.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:44 AM

Our whole family (17 strong -- ages 2 1/2 y/o to 75 y/o) stayed in a 3-story "cabin" for a week above Gatlinburg in July of 2015. I did NOT get to any quilt or fabric shops but the trip was worth it just to be with everyone. It had been 20 years since we vacationed together. At the time there were only 4 grandchildren, the youngest being only 8 months old. We enjoyed Cade's Cove where we stopped for a picnic and family pictures. The oldest granddaughter celebrated her 30th!!! birthday. She chose Dick's in Pigeon Forge as the place to have a family dinner. Our waiter toned the humor down to G - PG rated because of the younger ones. Everyday certain activites were planned for each age group with some of the adults going with each group. On the middle day, I chose to just chill out and get some embroidery and reading done. DH did the same on the following day. Well, not embroidery, but he did his puzzles, TV and hot tub. OH, forgot to mention that we brought a lot of local favorites for eating while we were there -- even crawfish etouffee. Each family had turns preparing the meals.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
Update: I'm back from my trip and was able to do almost everything you all suggested! It was a wonderful trip and yes, I would definitely describe the area as "lush"! Almost everyone we encountered was so friendly and helpful. We went on some hikes and Clingman's Dome is a challenging uphill hike. We got our workout for sure! Sadly, Quiltin' By Iva was closed and a note in the window said that she recently passed away. I did not see anything indicating whether or not the shop will re-open, close, or be sold. Thanks again for all the wonderful tips, it was a great place to visit.
Sorry to hear that. Her quilt shop was like going to a house party. Women sitting/ visiting & asked a newbie....me....where we were from & said to "bring that good lookin Mr in to visit",offered to find any fabric I wanted......one lady offered to show me her hand quilting.Just a super friendly place.One of a kind.