Gatlinburg, TN must sees?

Old 06-13-2016, 11:25 PM

Default Gatlinburg, TN must sees?

I will be traveling to Gatlinburg, TN this summer! I'm very excited. Do you have recommendations for things I must see and do while in the area? And, of course, are there quilt shops that you recommend? TIA.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:14 AM

You'll probably get other advice for Gatlinburg (the city), but DH and I are "nature freaks", so whenever we visit that area, we usually stay out of the city and go see what Mother Nature has to offer.

Roaring Fork Nature Trail is in Gatlinburg. It's a gorgeous little piece of nature you can drive through, right in the city. If you want to venture a little further, Cades Cove is incredible! For the best chances of seeing wildlife, go as soon as they open in the morning, or just before they close in the evening. For an even bigger adventure, take the road through the mountains to Cherokee, NC. It's absolutely amazing. And if you're REALLY adventurous, there are a lot of "hidden" backroads. Most are gravel, one-way roads that wind through the mountains. They're awesome, too, but some of them require a little planning (fill your gas tank up ahead of time, bring lunch, etc.). Many of them are so remote that there's no cell phone service, so I'd make sure to have a well-maintained vehicle.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in about Gatlinburg itself, but definitely bring your camera!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:20 AM

I live in the area, and my favorite things are in the park - Sugarlands visitor center, Clingman's Dome and Metcalf Bottoms which has a short hike to an old cabin and school house. You are also very close to Dollywood. I'd recommend looking at tripadvisor.com under Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and Townsend. Cades Cove is also interesting. It is a drive around loop where you may encounter wildlife, and has many of the old cabins, churches and schoolhouse. I remember as a child being fascinated in the candy kitchens watching the machine pull taffy. If you ride the tram or drive up to Ober Gatlinburg you will see what I think is some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, and there is an ice skating rink and other activities at the top. I hope you have a safe, enjoyable trip.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:33 AM

I LOVE Gatlinburg. There is a place on the 'main' near Trafic Light #6 called The Village - there are 27 unique shops
in there there is a small resturant that seats about 16 all homemade food The Village is a must.
you are close to Dollywood Theme Park, "The Miracle: a musical spectacular of the life of Jesus Christ, the Patty Waszak Show, Hoot 'Holler Dinner Show, you can tour the Smokey Mountains, Tour the Biltmore estate in Asheville, NC then travel on to Nashville
on our way home we went to Springfield IL Abraham Lincoln's home, library and museum and The Civil War Museum there is a Country Tonight Theater check to see what is going on the the convention Center.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:49 AM

There is a nice quilt shop in Sevierville which is near Gatlinburg called The Cherry Pit. It is right near the court house in downtown Sevierville. We go to the area most every year and I always stop by this quilt shop.

I agree with what others have said too on the trails and places to go in Smoky Mountain National Park. Dollywood is a really good value for the money too. Good shows and rides.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:17 PM

Ditto the Cherry Pit. It is a beautiful store with loads of fabrics. When I go to the Quilt Show there, we always detour to the store.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:19 AM

Don't miss my fav quilt shop.Beautiful fabrics & the nicest people.

Machine Quiltin' by Iva. 1020 Old Knoxville Hwy, Sevierville, TN (865) 428- 8008.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat View Post
Don't miss my fav quilt shop.Beautiful fabrics & the nicest people.

Machine Quiltin' by Iva. 1020 Old Knoxville Hwy, Sevierville, TN (865) 428- 8008.
Thanks. I'll have to check that out next time I'm there. By the name I would have thought it was just a long arm service and not a fabric shop.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:53 PM

Don't miss Mountain Stitches by Susan - it's up in the arts & crafts area of Gatlinburg, off of Glades Rd. It is owned by the nicest couple. It's my favorite quilt shop.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:37 AM

Dollywood (a theme park) is definitely a place to visit. The scenic views on the Blue Ridge Parkway are breathtaking. A day trip to Asheville is worth it. It takes about an hour and a half to get there. Biltmore estate is a must see. It is a mansion that was built by George? Vanderbuilt for his new bride. There are stables and a winery and the most beautiful arboretum. If you're not from the south, you'll be in awe of the Kudzu in the area. Google it for images. Hope you have a wonderful time.