Gift for a teenage girl?

Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM

My sister-in-law is 15 and very much into fashion. I wanted to make her something for Christmas but I have no idea what. Last year I made her fingerless gloves from a black fleece with a skull print on it and she loved them. This year I was thinking of making her a little lap quilt sampler made of traditional quilt blocks but using bright, modern fabrics. I have a bright pink cotton, black cotton, and an aqua zebra print cotton. I can also get cotton with hearts and skulls, hot pink leopard, or anything else that might appeal to a teenager. Do you think this would go down well or is it too lame of a gift for a 15-year old? Any suggestions?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:11 PM

I like it!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:14 PM
dd

I think you have the right fabrics but when I think lap quilt I think pretty small. I think she would want something a little larger to snuggle in while watching TV, homework, computer, things like that.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by dd
I think you have the right fabrics but when I think lap quilt I think pretty small. I think she would want something a little larger to snuggle in while watching TV, homework, computer, things like that.
I think you might be right....
Old 08-09-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dd
-----------------------------------
I agree, but I'm still a little vague on how large a lap quilt, a lap robe, a cuddle quilt, or a lap quilt or a couch throw should be. And there's probably some other descriptions around too, and I'm probably off base on them also.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Maybe a quilted laptop cover????
Old 08-09-2011, 04:16 PM

It sounds great! :thumbup:
Old 08-09-2011, 04:31 PM

I have a 16 yr old that would love those fabrics.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Closer to twin size would probably be great. Traditional pattern sounds good too. Also, we try to surprise people for Christmas but sometimes it is better to ask directly or even ask her best friend's opinion...

If you had enough different fabrics, a bargello might also go over rather well as it also looks more modern.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
My sister-in-law is 15 and very much into fashion. I wanted to make her something for Christmas but I have no idea what. Last year I made her fingerless gloves from a black fleece with a skull print on it and she loved them. This year I was thinking of making her a little lap quilt sampler made of traditional quilt blocks but using bright, modern fabrics. I have a bright pink cotton, black cotton, and an aqua zebra print cotton. I can also get cotton with hearts and skulls, hot pink leopard, or anything else that might appeal to a teenager. Do you think this would go down well or is it too lame of a gift for a 15-year old? Any suggestions?
Well, I've got THREE fifteen year old girls to make quilts for this year. I am in the midst of the first one. I appreciate your pondering over what to do and how to make it. I've been agonizing over that as well.

Fortunately for me, I've got colors to work with, as each of the three has a favorite color. I started with the 'blue' girl. Then, I've got a green girl, and then a purple girl to do.

I think your choices are terrific. Bright colors always seem to be a hit with young people. I at first started to go your way, but unfortunately for me, the three girls I am sewing for are sisters, yes, triplets. So I have to make them different, but the same or more or less the same. It's a problem.