Going to the Olympics

Old 02-03-2010, 04:29 AM

Have a wonderful time!
Dont forget to take pictures!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 AM

I was in Vancouver back in April visiting friends who live in downtown Vancouver!!!

You are going to LOOOOOOOOVE Granville Island!! Go there on a Sunday afternoon. They have a fabulous market there and fabulous places to eat! If you like Afghan food, I think the name of the restaurant is "The Afghan Horseman" or something like that... sooooooooooo yummy!!!!

Our friends can look out their penthouse condo window and see the building where all the media crews will be broadcasting. It's right along the waterfront and the roof is grass!

Have a WONDERFUL time!!! We would have loved to have gone this year, but with me being preggy this far along it might not be wise for me to travel right now.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:11 AM

Wish I was going with you. Although we would be up at Whistler. One of our favorite places to go.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:23 AM

What fun hope you get to see some of the action up close. Went there last year as were building...what a beautiful place, go to SalmoneGrill, not sure which was better amazing food or views.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 AM

Congrats on your trip. If you have the time, a quick flight to Victoria would be wonderful. There is a quilt shop there called Satin Moon, and it is well worth the flight over. Somewhere I heard that it is one of the oldest shops in Canada. I was there last spring and they had a fabulous fabric selection. Of course there are soooo many things to see in Victoria, in addition to the Satin Moon.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 AM

I don't know anything about quilt stores in that neck of the woods but want to tell you that I am green :mrgreen: with envy.

I'll be looking for you in the stands. Are you taking a beautiful lap quilt so we can find you? (a bright one would help)

When you see the ice skating, (my favorite) I'll be watching too!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Have a wonderful time.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM

I've been to Satin Moon. It is a gorgeous store but the prices were way too rich for my pocket book. I bought flannel there for a rag quilt that was 20.00 a metre!!! And that was 6 years ago! I saw all these gorgeous flannels in bright happy colours and found a pattern for a rag quilt for my daughter who was going to school in Victoria. I picked out lots of flannels... maybe 10 or 12, 1 metre cuts (metre equals 39") Bill was over 200.00 I wanted to use my "Beam Me Up Scottie" transporter and get the heck out of there but I had left it in my hotel room!!

B.Zang's post had lots of info! We were there in '08 but I didn't bother with quilt shops, I had spent LOTS in Ketchikan and Skagway in Alaska while we were on the cruise!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:44 PM

Hi there, I live here in the Vancouver area and just a reminder that a lot of streets are closed and there is almost NO street parking downtown for the month of the games! Public transit is the way to go, but I am sure you will love it here. It was 9ºC here today and sunny....... no nasty Ontario winter here lol.

GO CANADA GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 PM

Can I hide in your suitcase? hehehe My youngest son goes to college in N. Vancouver. He also plays in 3 or 4 jazzbands...one of those bands has been hired to play during the skating events. I am so proud of him!!

You will love the Vancouver area....and Andi is very right in suggesting using the transit system. It really is good.

Patti