Good news

Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 PM

And we spend the winters in Bonita Springs -half way between the two. The good thing is if you wanted to have a Quilting Board Group meeting there are many of us in the area. Used to live in Venice so know it is 80 miles north of us but only 1.5 hr by interstate so I would gladly go north to see you or meet somewhere, We have HUGE
mall close-Coconut Point Mall. Hobby Lobby in Ft. Myers.
MAIN thing is we have good winter weather. We will go to Destin for Thanksgiving to visit nephew.

Originally Posted by auniqueview
Ft. Myers has a beautiful beach, Estero right down the road does, too. If you want to go to Naples, be prepared to spend twice as much, be looked down on, and be bored. We almost moved down there, lol, but stayed in motels for two weeks while we looked around and drove north to Ft. Myers and stayed here instead. So much more to do, much friendlier. Unless you have the big bucks...BIG BIG buck, not their type.

There are quite a few outlet shopping centers about, if you are into that. And there is beautiful Sanibel Island, with the Ding Darling wildlife Center. We have Six Mile Wildlife preserve here....Corkscrew is in Estero, Cypress Lake is in Ft. Myers, and it is a beautiful park/nature area with trails, biking, boating, picnic areas. I keep trying to talk my family into holding reunions down here instead of making me drive up north, lol.

You can google Ft. Myer on the net, and find info on what to see, where to go.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 PM

Wow!! wish I was going!! Have fun
Old 09-19-2011, 08:32 PM

I live in Polk County, when we go to the beach, Anna Marie Island is where we go. It is right on the gulf in Manatee County, close to Tampa and St Petersburg.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 PM

We stayed at the tennis club in Bonita Springs. Right across from the beach and so pretty at night with the moon shining on the water. We stayed on Anna Maria Island and it was great. Hard to find a reasonable place there but we found one until we lost it. Bradenton Beach is good. It's right off the island and less expensive. Love Sarasota.It's a great area. We stopped going after we lost our place there, since I hated the drive. We had to go around Washington and take 95 and every year we saw accidents. The last time a tire blew off a Wal Mart truck and luckily went under our van rather then through the windshield. That was enough for us. We've seen cars upside down. It just got to be too stressful. My DH doesn't like the winter but I love it. It's quiet time for me. Time to sleep and quilt.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by patski
what part of florida? I'm in Miami no quilt shops here but lots of other stuff todo
University Park Florida has a nice quilt store it's around Miami.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:17 PM

We live in Arkansas and have gone to s. FL on many 1 and 2 wk vacations. I agree with you that the gulf coast is beautiful. There are so many things to see and do that you just can't get it all done in one trip. How long will you get to stay? I think it is fun to leave home in sweat shirts and coats and then get to wear shorts and cotton shirts when you get there. Makes it feel like you really gained something. Have fun.