Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Grateful thanks to the ladies who discussed their floppy-eared dogs' ear infections >

Grateful thanks to the ladies who discussed their floppy-eared dogs' ear infections

Grateful thanks to the ladies who discussed their floppy-eared dogs' ear infections

Old 09-03-2011, 05:41 AM

About a month ago the discussion was about dogs' ear infections, especially floppy-eared dogs. Several people mentioned that they feed their dogs "Taste of the Wild" dog food which is gluten free and have had fewer infections. Someone also mentioned the word "allergies." My story: My German Shepherd, age 8 has terrible allergies to the point where she chews her feet to pieces. They actually bleed and she also has quite frequent ear infections. We are the third owners. The first two sets of owners tried every combination of dog food that their vets suggested and we did also and nothing seemed to help in the least.

After reading this discussion on the Board I read all about Taste of the Wild food on the internet and decided to give it a try. After 2 days I tho't I noticed a difference, but then I was really trying hard to find a difference, but after a week there was no doubt that she was chewing and licking less. My vet was sceptical but after 6 weeks her feet have healed and her ears are clear. She still does some nibbling and licks her arms like a cat but I'm a believer!! After 8 years, this poor dog finally has some relief. I cannot thank the people of this discussion enough. You saved my dog!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Google Goddess

Wow that is great news, I know I learn something new every day from all of you quilters

Thank you to all of you!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:08 AM

Glad he is feeling better.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:21 AM

amazing, isn't it?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:03 AM

Glad you were able to give your dog relief. DD gets a dog food for us that's duck & potato - no gluten. It works. As long as she can get it we'll feed it.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:03 AM

My dogs really love their "Taste of the Wild"! There are a few others, too, but Taste is just a bit cheaper & an excellent grain free food.
**Another TIP for you to consider--**
If your dogs are having a foot problem & you see red bumps, little sores, brown stuff in between their toes & pads or on the back side of their paws, if they are biting & licking at them, Try BASIS people soap to wash their feet ( or whole body) with.
Some dogs get very red on their tummies & under their armpits. This is usually an allergy, too.
With the BASIS soap-get the white box,under $2.00.
Work up a good lather in your own hands & cover the affected area. Let it sit as long as you can-like a minute or two- before you use a washcloth & a gentle touch to wipe the brownish/red gunk off of them. Be gentle. If it doesn't all come off a once, re-lather & do it again. The gunk is the allergens building up on the dog & when you wash it off, the redness will go away or at least fade. Your dog will feel alot better! Check the back side of their paws between the toe & heel pads, too.
This soap is SO gentle & has so much good stuff in it that you just can't go wrong trying it.
Hope this also helps some of your Furbabies!
Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Our puppy was raised on Diamond brand puppy food from his breeder. It's very similar to Taste of the Wild.I switched to an adult formula for our adult pug. He doesn't chew on his feet near as much as he used to. I'm a believer that the chow makes a huge difference!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Sandee, thanks for the tip about Basis soap. Will try it. A vet dermatologist said that 85% of all dog food allergies are protein based but he never mentioned gluten free. My vet just remarked that gluten seems to be the "in" thing right now. However, "seeing is believing!"

There is so much more than quilting on this Board. I have been quilting for more than 30 years but every once in a while I read about something that I used to do but have forgotten and many things that are new to me. The massive amount of information on this Board is outstanding.!!

Barb
Old 09-03-2011, 08:59 PM

How wonderful that this has worked so far! So good to read your post!!! Our furkids are like our children only they cannot talk to us. Thank You for giving this a try for your sweet furkid. Hope it continues to work.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:18 PM

We have a dane that we had to switch to a completely raw diet to avoid the problems with the digestive track. He went 9 months without anything close to solid mostly liquid due to allergies. Our vet was a skeptic to until she realized how much better he was looking and feeling after switching. The acne around his mouth is completely gone as well.

I have come to realize that vets are not nutritionists and know very little about foods and it is left up to us owners to educate ourselves.