Great Score at Walmart

Old 09-04-2013, 02:40 AM

Default Great Score at Walmart

I was walking through the Clearance Department at my local Walmart and found 2 yard precuts of 100% cotton for $1.00. They are all solids; I purchased 9 of them. $18.00 yards of fabric for $9.00 - check out your local Walmart!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:42 AM

I wish our Walmart carried fabric again and not just the itty bitty precuts.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:09 AM

I scored bamboo quilt batting for $4.00 a yard. 45 inches wide. Also bought 100% cotton batt for $3.00 a yard. I use cotton for my baby quilts and wall hangings. Love the feel of bamboo, want to use it for a quilted jacket. Our Walmart is redoing their fabric department, finally. When it was put back in last year, they just stuffed the bolts on shelves. They are now putting the the fabrics in "color families", starting to look nice. Another Walmart, local to me, has the most beautiful (and largest) fabric department. I had to tell the manager how wonderful the department was and that I would recommend his store. The Joann's 1 block away, looks like a junk store. The Walmart manager said he was so happy to hear that customers were happy. He said removing the fabric department brought such a backlash, that he was one manager who lobbied to get the department back. That store has more fabric and varieties of fabrics that any Joann's I have been in (I have 6 with in 20 minutes of me). I have seen some fabric there that I have seen in quilt shops.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

SIGH, we only have a few pre-cuts. I did see they had some cute 3 yard pieces of Superman fabric this month.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

Wish our local WalMart would put fabric back in store, just precuts now. Not much in thread either !
Old 09-04-2013, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Ours only has a few fat quarters, darn.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I'm going to try the Walmart on the other side of town, the south side. They keep the fabric all nicely organized. Worth the trip. The clerks that work in the one in my backyard (3 blocks away) try very hard to keep the fabric organized but yet people will tear the remnants that are wrapped and marked apart, then the clerks have to wait until they have time to remark. On the southside, if someone does that they make them pay for it. Don't blame the clerks but just have to try the others.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:37 AM

Our local Walmart just brought back fabric. I am so glad. It has some nice fabrics at pretty good prices. The only problem I see is that it is not staffed. You have to go to the Photo Department to get help. That is kind of inconvenient. For those of you who do not have fabric departments, I was told by our store manager that they were reinstalling fabric departments at the time of the next renovation. Here is hoping for you all.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:05 AM

It's amazing how rude some customers can be. I was at a discount fabric store a while back. I made a comment to one of the owners (it's a family owned business) about a sign that was posted. It read "Please do not cut samples from fabric, ask us and we will be glad to give you a sample." I asked him if it was a problem. He said I would not believe how many people felt they had a right to cut samples. He said this one lady was cutting 6 inch squares with a pair of scissors. People don't realize that they loose the rest of the width of fabric because they have to have straight edges. He told me they cut one inch strips for people who need a sample. They have the same fabric as the quilt stores - but they get last dibs on fabric - whatever is leftover after the quilt stores buy theirs. So, buy extra for mistakes and shrinkage because it might not be there next time. I would never cut fabric like that - it's stealing! Not mention inconsiderate.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:06 AM

I have also found some real good deals at Wal-Mart. I like to feel fabric before I buy it no matter what store. Harder to do online - really have to stretch! I have found the same dragon fabric there that is at the quilt stores.