Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hand Eczema & Dove Bar Soap??? >

Hand Eczema & Dove Bar Soap???

Hand Eczema & Dove Bar Soap???

Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 PM

Lightbulb Hand Eczema & Dove Bar Soap???

I have seen some post's that people have eczema on their hands. I know some dermatologist tell you to use "Dove Bar Soap for Sensitive Skin-Unscented". Well I now have that problem & the one thing I hate is having soap dishes at every sink that get soap scum on them. Not to mention that the soap looks dirty after you use it. I have also heard that bar soaps can actually leave bacteria on them. I am so use to liquid soap, but "Dove" does not make an unscented liquid soap, so I did some reasearch on the web & found this recipe to make your own. All I can say is I LOVE IT !!! I have throw out the soap dishes & replace them with a liquid soap dispencer's. I thought that anyone who has this same problem might like the recipe, so here it is.

Turn A Bar of DOVE Soap Into Liquid Hand Soap Ingredients:
    Equipment:

Directions:

Using a box grater, grate both bars of soap. Transfer the soap flakes into a pot and add the 4 cups of water. Turn it on low heat and dissolve the soap slowly until it becomes smooth and you don’t see any lumps.
      Take off the heat and let sit overnight to cool completely. It will firm up a little, but should still be foamy and soap-like when you stir with a spoon. Using a funnel, transfer the soap to the hand pump.
      Eureka! Liquid hand soap!

You may have to let it sit a little longer until it looks like pudding. I would love to hear what you think of it.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:52 AM
      Power Poster

Thanks for this information. I'll have to give it a try.
      Old 08-18-2012, 12:50 PM

I use Dove Sensitive Skin Nourishing Body Wash, as many soaps/body washes make my skin itch. This could also be used, as a hand cleanser.
      Old 08-18-2012, 04:01 PM

I use Dove Sensitive Skin Nourishing Body Wash, as many soaps/body washes make my skin itch. This could also be used, as a hand cleanser.

I thought the same thing except I can not use anything with fragrance & even though the "Body Wash" says unscented it list's fragrance on the back of the bottle. I called the company about that & they couldn't/wouldn't answer why. So I did my homework to find this "recipe". I gave a copy to my dermatologist to give to his patients. His asst. was impressed & going to make it.
      Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 PM
      Power Poster

I'm glad I don't have it, making the soap would take too much of my quilting time. I am glad it works for you.
      Old 08-18-2012, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the directions. So far, I use the bar soap in the shower. If I have to use it on my hands, too, I will use your recipe/technique for liquid hand soap. Also, I was disappointed when the only travel size bar soap was scented... ugh! Good luck to you. :-)
      Old 08-18-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by kay carlson View Post
      Thanks for the directions. So far, I use the bar soap in the shower. If I have to use it on my hands, too, I will use your recipe/technique for liquid hand soap. Also, I was disappointed when the only travel size bar soap was scented... ugh! Good luck to you. :-)
      Good luck to you too. Of all places for this to start, on my hands. Makes sewing hard sometimes, but we shall not stop. LOL.
      Old 08-18-2012, 08:32 PM

I grew up with eczema and seborrhea in our family. I had the eczema. My DH also grew up with it-he was given the icky bad tar treatments, and I was given a special shampoo and my parents were told to stay away from any soaps with perfumes. I was also given a prescription for Eucerin that relieved me of all symptoms after a couple of weeks. I could not use the Dove the dr. told me to try, as as gentle as it is, it was too harsh for my skin. Couldn't afford to keep up the prescriptions when I was on my own. Couple years later when I met my DH, I was introduced to his aunt who worked in a dermatologist's office and was visiting from another state. Without ever saying anything to me about my red patchy cheeks or arms, she sent me samples of Eucerin from her office. I was surprised it was the same product. It worked like a miracle again! By then we could afford to buy the expensive lotions and cremes, so I bought a container of the creme and would use that on the small dry red patches I would have. To this day-34 years later, I still use the Eucerin creme everyday as the perfect makeup remover, and it has helped eliminate any skin conditions all my kids inherited. It is the only thing I put on my skin, and I no longer have any issues with eczema. The Eucerin saved me from the red patchy itchy face I used to have in HS. My GD had the eczema and it has relieved her of the dry red patches also. Google it. It is dermotologist recommended and may work for those who have not tried it. I use the Eucerin every day on my hands. The stuff is amazing. I wash dishes and get really dry hands immediately. Put the Eucerin on and baby soft hands again. The product does come in cleansers, lotions, and cremes. I will add the Dove worked for my sister. I will pass this recipe on to her-thanks for sharing. (Eucerin is not a prescription and there are generic products very similar.)
      Old 08-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
      I grew up with eczema and seborrhea in our family. I had the eczema. My DH also grew up with it-he was given the icky bad tar treatments, and I was given a special shampoo and my parents were told to stay away from any soaps with perfumes. I was also given a prescription for Eucerin that relieved me of all symptoms after a couple of weeks. I could not use the Dove the dr. told me to try, as as gentle as it is, it was too harsh for my skin. Couldn't afford to keep up the prescriptions when I was on my own. Couple years later when I met my DH, I was introduced to his aunt who worked in a dermatologist's office and was visiting from another state. Without ever saying anything to me about my red patchy cheeks or arms, she sent me samples of Eucerin from her office. I was surprised it was the same product. It worked like a miracle again! By then we could afford to buy the expensive lotions and cremes, so I bought a container of the creme and would use that on the small dry red patches I would have. To this day-34 years later, I still use the Eucerin creme everyday as the perfect makeup remover, and it has helped eliminate any skin conditions all my kids inherited. It is the only thing I put on my skin, and I no longer have any issues with eczema. The Eucerin saved me from the red patchy itchy face I used to have in HS. My GD had the eczema and it has relieved her of the dry red patches also. Google it. It is dermotologist recommended and may work for those who have not tried it. I use the Eucerin every day on my hands. The stuff is amazing. I wash dishes and get really dry hands immediately. Put the Eucerin on and baby soft hands again. The product does come in cleansers, lotions, and cremes. I will add the Dove worked for my sister. I will pass this recipe on to her-thanks for sharing. (Eucerin is not a prescription and there are generic products very similar.)
      Which "Eucerin" do you use???? They make so many different ones I have used the Eucerin Intense Repair & Fragrance Free Neutrogena. They help some, but not for very long. Please let me know because this is so irratating.
      Old 08-19-2012, 05:10 AM

I have had Eczema it seems like my entire life and when it moved to the palms of my hands it became more painful. One of my doctors told me years ago to switch to Cetaphil to wash my face and it has made a huge difference for me. I am going to try this recipe for hand soap though. There is a bar soap that does not come in liquid that I have been able to find and this would work to convert it to liquid soap. Thanks for the recipe!!