THE DOLL by Vickey Stamps

Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 AM

Default THE DOLL by Vickey Stamps

THE DOLL ….
© Vickey Stamps 8/17/12
Mitzi had been waiting for what seemed a very long time. It would be the first time in her short life she had gotten any mail at all, never mind a package. Mitzi was six. Her mother had gotten a letter telling her a package was coming for her and the writer hoped it would be something Mitzi would love. It was a doll for children who were very sick. The mother thought how much that fit her little one. She and Dade had wanted more children, but now it seemed a blessing that it hadn’t happened. Their daughter had cancer, and that was hard enough without worrying about caring for other children. It was in her bones and they knew that type was pretty serious. The radiation hadn’t helped, chemo was next and if not successful, Mitzi might lose a leg. They thanked the Lord the cancer had been caught at a very early stage. She hoped the doll would be delivered today. The chemo began Monday. Only three days were left and the cycle of waiting would begin again. Mitzi handled it much better than her mom and dad. She was a loving child, always trying to smile and somehow make little of what was a big issue. Bethany turned to find Mitzi hopping on one foot and then the other, watching as the delivery van double parked. The driver came up the walk, carrying a long narrow package. Mitzi had the door open before he could even ring the doorbell.
“You Miss Mitzi Donovan?” he asked. “Yes, yes, yes. Is that my doll?” Mitzi spoke, reaching for the package. “Well, now, I don’t know, but if it will keep you this happy, I sure hope so. Have a good day, little one. You too, Mam!!”
“It’s beautiful Mommy. Look at her big smile, and watch this.” She flipped the skirt over the dolls head, transforming it into a doll with an embroidered sleepy face that wore a nightgown. She hugged the doll on both sides and took it off to her room to find just the right place for it, when she wasn’t busy playing with it. On the skirt was a label that said “Made with tender loving care”. It wasn’t long before Mitzi was begging her mom to sit up a tea party. They’d filled out the birth certificate that had come with the doll that was now dully recorded as Bettye Donovan and Mitzi as the mom. Mitzi drug out her tea party cups and saucers and put a pretty cover over the folding table, placing the flower decorated cups and saucers and teapot in all the right places. Bethany put on a tape of soft music and they all sat around the table, with Bettye standing on her chair as the quest of honor. A good time was had by all, and Bettye was put on the couch for a short nap, to recover from her very long journey, it would soon be time for supper and a bath, then bedtime. She’d be sure Bettye didn’t sleep too long so she’d rest tonight.
Now Mitzi watched at the window, waiting for Daddy. He’d be happy and surprised to see the newest addition to the family. Dad came in, sweeping her up in his arms, twirling her around in the air, before putting her down, giving Bethany a kiss and sniffing the air. Smells like hamburgers tonight! Dade loved homemade hamburgers. They all did, He gave a hug of welcome to Bettye waking her up. Mitzi showed him how she changed to be a happy girl. “Just like my Mitzi-girl!” he said, and propped the doll up on the corner of the couch. “Let’s eat. I’m starved”
Now Mitzi lay with her doll. Mom and Dad had shared the story that came with Bettye about how it was okay to feel however she wanted to about her. If she was sad and needed to cry, that was okay. If she was angry and wanted to yell at her, that was okay too. However she wanted to feel was okay and Bettye would never be angry at her. She could always have all the hugs she wanted. She belonged to Mitzi. They had explained what it all meant as Mitzi lay with the sleepy face doll tucked in with her, ready for the night ahead. Bethany and Dad of course had to give a kiss to the doll as well as their daughter. Mitzi didn’t even need a nightlight on tonight. The smiling sleepy face was enough for her. The door was left open just a crack so they could hear her if she called out.
“Bettye” Mitzi spoke turning to cradle her in her arms “I am so glad you came to live with me. I see how sad mommy and daddy get, since I’ve been sick. They try not to show how they feel. Sometimes I see tears on their face before they turn their heads. I feel sad too and sometimes I get very scared, and even wonder if I will die. I can tell you these things because we can share my secrets, and if I cry softly, my tears will be on you and soak right through. They will never have to know. I love you so much already. Just two more days and I have to have something called Chemo. Will you hug me extra tight if it makes me hurt or feel sick? I bet you will. Mommy called the hospital today and they said you can come with me for every treatment. We got another letter and someone is sending me a guilt to keep me warm. It will be here soon, and one will come for you too. People are so nice, aren’t they? Don’t go to sleep without knowing I love you. Sweet dreams!” Having said so, she cuddled the doll even closer, closed her eyes and fell asleep.
Monday came and went. The guilt came and the same delivery man delivered it to Mitzi. He bent down to be more her size, handing her the package with the quilt. Was that your doll I brought three days ago? I see what looks like something brand new in your arms. You must love her a lot. I hope you like what is in here for you. I and my friends have been praying for you. We read in the papers you been having troubles. We’ll be checking on you.” Leaving he turned back for a moment to smile and say….

Never forget…..LIFE IS GOOD
Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Vickie, I've read some of your stories before but this one really got to me. By the time I was halfway thru, I was blubbering so hard I could barely read the rest. The part about the doll absorbing her tears and wouldn't mind just got to my heart. Little ones are so brave and have the most wonderful outlook on life. We adults could stand a reminder of their innocence of life.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:20 PM

Thank you so much for your reply dear Nanamoms. Love your Avitar. I have made and homes have been found for 115 of these dolls. They do come with a birth certificate and story plus a tag for boys leg and girls dress. Most go to a child with cancer. I have only 34% of my lungs because of COPD and yesterday spent 4 hours in E.R. because of a 'flare-up' maybe caused by a cold I'd caught. I am able with O2 to be up and about as a general rule, but limited. These dolls I can do on my old cheapy machines, so I am glad to do it, while I can. My new goal is to reach a minimum of 200 this year or first part of the next year. I know I've got to eventually clear out my cupboards of the wealth of fabrics sent from all over the USA, as the floating fibers of lots of sewing is hard on the lungs, especially the stuffing. When these dolls are finished, I may have to call on someone to pick up the ministry and get these dolls out to sick kids for me. Maybe someone local, in case they want the left over fabrics I'd want to send so they can keep the dolls free. We can only take life one day at a time, and ask no more. I lay in bed last night and while trying to fall asleep, asked the Lord if HE had more words for me to write, and into my mind came the story of THE DOLL. I'm glad you liked it. HUGS to you and yours.

Vickey

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
Vickie, I've read some of your stories before but this one really got to me. By the time I was halfway thru, I was blubbering so hard I could barely read the rest. The part about the doll absorbing her tears and wouldn't mind just got to my heart. Little ones are so brave and have the most wonderful outlook on life. We adults could stand a reminder of their innocence of life.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:53 AM

An absolutely brilliant story!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:03 AM

Oh what a lovely story, sad as well so inspirational. Thank you and have a great day.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 AM

thanks for your wonder responces and in general just taking time to comment. Glad you liked my story. I make and give away boy and girl cloth dolls to children who are very sick. 115 have found a home so far. God bless you and yours.

Vickey Stamps
Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 AM

A wonderful story and a wonderful person! God bless you and keep you under His wing, safe to make others happy.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:55 AM

God Bless you for your dolls for the kids and sharing such a touching story with you. Hugs, May in Jersey
Old 08-18-2012, 11:40 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Once again this story came to life for me......it was as tho I could actually envision it as you told the story.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:48 AM

Very Good!