Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Left-Right by Vickey Stamps >

Left-Right by Vickey Stamps

Left-Right by Vickey Stamps

Old 11-18-2013, 07:43 PM

Default Left-Right by Vickey Stamps

LEFT-RIGHT
(c) Vickey Stamps 11-18-13
Missy had just turned five, and thought herself quite grown up. Before her and in her lap was a very pretty box she had wrapped all by herself. She'd tied it with a bow almost as big as the top of the box. The bow was the favorite color of the elderly woman that lived next door. She would deliver it today. Her neighbors birthday was on Thanksgiving and that was today. She had no family to come and sing to her, to bake a cake and help her blow all the candles out. No one but Missy's family, and she'd told them she'd be fine alone. Her parents has asked her to come for Thanksgiving dinner, but she'd said no, and she would not think of intruding on their holiday that way, and not to worry about her.
Missy remembered how just two years ago, she and her mom went to visit. They had just moved next door, the week before. She'd ended up ¬¬¬¬¬¬sittng in Ms. Jessie's lap, and running her fingers over her lined face. She'd asked about the wrinkles and would she get to have some of her very own some day. Ms. Jessie had smiled and then laughed, telling her the lines were like road maps in life, and Missy had tried hard to understand what that meant.
Now she was more grown up, and almost every day, she was allowed to walk over there all by herself to see her friend. She had thought a lot about what would go into the packaged gift. She didn't have very much money and her mother had given her a little extra, to help with the gift. Most of it, didn't cost anything at all, but were from her heart. Her mother had said that was the best of all gifts one could give.
She'd put in the small white New Testament she'd earned just before her birthday for perfect attendance at Sunday school, along with her favorite Berette, she wore to kindergarten almost everyday. She'd taken color markers and drawn her home and that of Ms. Jessie's. She'd added in a flower filled pathway to connect them. Below the houses, she'd written "I love you!". She'd put in a can of cat food for her friends old cat as well. There was a gift card for a flower from the nearby flower shop. Now she hid the most important gift of all inside the deep pocket of her coat. It was time to go.
Ms. Jessie opened her door, greeting Missy with a smile. She was leaning on her cane and Missy knew her knees were bothering her. She frowned for it troubled her to think of her friend hurting in any way. She loved her so much. Her grandparents were so far away, she hardly ever got to see them, even on special days like today would be. She was thankful for days like this. She knew they'd sit together at the table and Daddy would begin by saying what he was thankful for, then it would be her and Mama's turn to talk. Daddy would say a prayer to bless the food. They had taught her to look for the good in life and be thankful for all she had. She was thankful for Ms. Jessie. She hoped she would like the gifts in the pretty box. Ms. Jessie invited her into the home, asking her about the gift.

"Happy Birthday Ms. Jessie. It's for you. It's my 'I love you' gift. Mama said love is the best of all the gifts ever, so look and see. Her old friend went on and on about the pretty package, and finally unwrapped it. A tear ran from her eyes, but she smiled as the tear made its way down her wrinkled face, at the gifts inside, that Missy explained, as they were tenderly touched. "You'll have to wait till tomorrow to get your flower Ms. Jessie. They are closed today. It's Thanksgiving, you know~". Ms. Jessie nodded that she understood. Now Missy asked a favor. I came to play a game with you, but you have to close your eyes for a few minutes. Would you do that please?" Her old friend nodded again, bending her head and closing her eyes. Missy quickly hurried down the hall to the back door, opening it quietly opening the door and placing the final wrapped gift that had been in her pocket upon a chair on the back porch. Inside she went. Taking Ms. Jessie's hand, she said "Open your eyes please and come with me. We are going to play 'Hide & Seek" together. The old woman and little girl hand in hand went through the house room by room, with Missy saying go left, and go right as the entrance to a room came near. There is a gift, easy to see Ms. Jessie. Do you see it?" Of course she did not see the gift that was not inside the house. She continued on, cane at hand and played the game with her friend.
At last, they reached the back porch. "Oh my. This must be what I've been looking for." Sitting down, she picked it up. She wondered at the awkward feel of the present. It felt like silverware felt in her hand, when she sat the table for her lonely meals. It was, and she looked puzzled at Missy over the gift. "Why did you give me silverware for my birthday. I love it of course, like everything you gave me. I just don't understand why."
Miss smiled and said "Get up Ms Jessie. You got to. You just got to. You got your own silverware to bring,k and we need you to come to my house with me. We got a big turkey dinner on the table at our house and it is especially for you, and afterward instead of pies, Mama made a chocolate cake and we get to have some home made ice-cream, even though its cold outside today, and daddy said I could sit on top of the ice-cream freezer while he turns the crank. You gotta come Ms. Jessie. You just gotta!" Having said so, a tear began to run down Missy's cheek. She was so afraid she would say no. She looked up at her, her small face hopeful, the undried tear still on her cheek. Ms. Jessie could not, Ms Jessie would not say No. She laid her life wrinkled face along side Missy's, feeling the tear on Missy's face touch her. "What are we waiting for. I got my own silverware. Let's hurry up. I bet the food is getting cold. I can hardly wait for my Birthday dinner. You know what, little friend? .... LIFE IS GOOD"
Old 11-19-2013, 06:03 AM

AWE! How sweet, I have never heard this story before THANK you for sharing... ! Have a blessed day !
Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Very sweet story.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the wonderful replies. I just wrote this yesterday afternoon.

Hugs to all

Vickey Stamps
Old 11-19-2013, 10:37 AM

Vickey, that's beautiful!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:06 PM

Thanks Neesie. Glad you enjoyed it. hugs
Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 PM

You have talent. Very nice story.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:43 AM

Thank you Vickey, that is a very touching story. The author has to have a very kind loving heart to feel so deeply to write such a sweet story.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 AM

Sweet story, thanks.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:50 AM

Wonderful. Your story warmed my heart. Happy Thanksgiving.