Which is harder?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

I cried when they all left, I knew they needed to leave but it didn't make it an easier :D:D:D
Old 08-21-2011, 10:46 AM

sending my youngest back to live in the States from Vanuatu (other side of the world) when he was only 19-moved into an apartment a few blocks away from my sister (which was a saving grace!) with my other son, 6 years older than he. We only got to see them for 4-5 weeks when we flew over to visit once a year. Can't even tell you how much I missed him! Ten times worse than when the oldest left! Now, we all live together in a house we all bought together in Calif, and I wish we had our own place!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:53 AM

I cried when my youngest graduated high school. I cried at their weddings- especially my son's last year, I was very ill in my pregnancy and he is my miracle child. Never thought I'd see the day he would be married! I just wanted him to live and be healthy.

Didn't cry at any college graduations- I think it was a feeling of relief.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by MisDixie
LOL.....my only! That was 2003 and somedays I am still not over it.
Me too, on the only!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:37 AM

Three kids...two girls, one boy. I was upset when the oldest daughter married, but she was only 7 miles away. The middle child(daughter)lived on campus and I missed her horribly. She is my mini-me. She married and lives about 7 miles away too. When my baby boy left for college, I felt bereft. Then when he married and moved to Kansas City, snd then later to Columbis, Mo, I bawled every time I would see him and then have to let him go again. I was a mess. It took me about 10 years to get over myself!!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:50 PM

For me it was the day I left the youngest at his dorm in college 4 years ago. I tried so hard to hold in the tears that my throat and neck hurt for days afterward. I still miss him the most, my older two are 35 and 30 and have been gone longer. Now that the youngest has graduated, I'm moving onto a new stage in life - being a grandma. First grandchild (a boy) was born two weeks ago tomorrow and second grandchild (also a boy) is due in three weeks. It does get better, but there are still days I still wish they were home.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:18 PM

For me, sending the first one to college was the hardest. This year, I am a bit emotional...DD has gone back for her *last* year of college. Assuming she will move directly into a career upon her graduation next spring, we are truly now empty-nesters.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM

My kids all went to the local university so stayed home until they married,(21) except one, he married later than 21 but moved out at 21. I guess I really didn't feel a huge emptiness because all my kids live within 20 minutes of me and they all pop in at least once a week, even the 5 grandchildren stop by often. Today three of my children and two grands were here all afternoon, and my grandson, who will be attending Univ.of Ky , his first year, stopped by to let me know he would be popping in for lunch a couple times a week. Thank God, I've never had to experience a feeling of "empty nest".