Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting is so much harder then it looks. >
  • Quilting is so much harder then it looks.

• Quilting is so much harder then it looks.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:50 PM

I started my first quilt today. Its a pinwheel sampler quilt from this site http://www.psiquilt.com/2010/01/pinw...ilt-along.html
    Boy do I have a lot to learn. I almost gave up half way through the first block.
    I discovered that I can't cut a straight line to save my soul. On the first block I was not very careful at keeping with the 1/4" seams. It took some real work to get all the seams lined up right. On the second block I was very careful and everything lined up much nicer. Im really glad I decided to learn on scraps rather then the moda fabric I wanted to order. I'll save the good stuff for the next quilt.
    Old 10-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Practice quilts are a great idea to get started. I made a practice lap quilt to learn how to hand quilt. I found out how much I need to learn.
    Old 10-17-2010, 04:55 PM
    Power Poster

Any time I try something new in quilting I do a test run before I use the good fabric. I use the test blocks in table runners or table toppers. Every new project I do I learn lots. You are off to a good start. :)
    Old 10-17-2010, 04:58 PM

I am glad I try out new things on scraps as well. Then I have a piece for myself regardless if it looks good or not.
    Old 10-17-2010, 05:01 PM
    Power Poster

Scrappy quilts can be a lot of fun. Years down the road, you will look at this first quilt with many happy memories :D:D:D
    Old 10-17-2010, 05:06 PM

that is a hard block for a beginner...you are brave. I have not done that one.
    Originally Posted by Spring
    I started my first quilt today. Its a pinwheel sampler quilt from this site http://www.psiquilt.com/2010/01/pinw...ilt-along.html
    Boy do I have a lot to learn. I almost gave up half way through the first block.
    I discovered that I can't cut a straight line to save my soul. On the first block I was not very careful at keeping with the 1/4" seams. It took some real work to get all the seams lined up right. On the second block I was very careful and everything lined up much nicer. Im really glad I decided to learn on scraps rather then the moda fabric I wanted to order. I'll save the good stuff for the next quilt.
    Old 10-17-2010, 05:07 PM

Welcome from Arkansas! We're happy to have you aboard. I have a 1/4" foot for my machine and still can't sew an accurate 1/4". I finally used blue painters tape and put a strip 1/4" from my needle. I now sew an accurate 1/4" everytime.
    Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM

Smart girl. You learned fast to always make a sample block. See, you already have experience :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 10-17-2010, 05:45 PM

The owner of my LQS says every quilt is a learning experience. So, don't give up, stay with it, finish it to the end, sandwich it, quilt it, bind it and use it. It will be an experience you will learn alot from and have something tangible to show for it too! We can't wait to see pictures. And if you run into any problems help is right at your fingertips. All the wonderful quilters on here are a terrific source of help!
    Old 10-17-2010, 06:27 PM

are you cutting with a rotary cutter and correct rulers ? you may be pressing way too hard. cutters are very sharp, keep them straight up, not slanted when you cut. 1/4" seams are so very important to blocks fitting. the more pieces, the more important that seam is. also press carefully, don't stretch.
    just hang in there ! we all started just like you.