Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is so much harder then it looks. >

Quilting is so much harder then it looks.

Quilting is so much harder then it looks.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Spring

Smitty, I do have all the proper equipment. Not being able to cut a straight line is special trait that I have. I scrapbook and I cant cut a straight line on paper with the top of the line paper cutter either. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow Im pretty sure Im pushing too hard because my knuckles are white while Im pushing..lol You may be on to something there.
This may sound silly, but it works for me.
Take an ordinary hole punch and punch some holes in sandpaper. Then use rubber cement to attach them to the back of your ruler, so the grit can grab your fabric. This will help the ruler to not slip. Also, you might try wearing gardening gloves that have the little rubber dots on them. This will help you grip the ruler. I also use both gloves when machine quilting; I just cannot get a grip on the fabric otherwise.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:37 PM

I fully understand your situation. Just keep on trying and testing yourself. You can and will do this! And it will be so much fun to see your finished product. When you're rested and start again you will look at it different. Hang in there.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 PM

I started my first quilt today. Its a pinwheel sampler quilt from this site http://www.psiquilt.com/2010/01/pinw...ilt-along.html
Boy do I have a lot to learn. I almost gave up half way through the first block.
I discovered that I can't cut a straight line to save my soul. On the first block I was not very careful at keeping with the 1/4" seams. It took some real work to get all the seams lined up right. On the second block I was very careful and everything lined up much nicer. Im really glad I decided to learn on scraps rather then the moda fabric I wanted to order. I'll save the good stuff for the next quilt.
There are some templates which might help you with a pinwheel quilt, they are the X block template from Patricia Pepe and Twisted sisters template. They are available for viewing at the addresses below.Of course, the easiest pinwheel is to rotate 4 half square triangles to form the pattern of a pinwheel.
http://www.amisimms.com/twistedsisters.html
http://www.patriciapepe.com/
Good luck with your next project.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer

Smitty, I do have all the proper equipment. Not being able to cut a straight line is special trait that I have. I scrapbook and I cant cut a straight line on paper with the top of the line paper cutter either. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow Im pretty sure Im pushing too hard because my knuckles are white while Im pushing..lol You may be on to something there.
This may sound silly, but it works for me.
Take an ordinary hole punch and punch some holes in sandpaper. Then use rubber cement to attach them to the back of your ruler, so the grit can grab your fabric. This will help the ruler to not slip. Also, you might try wearing gardening gloves that have the little rubber dots on them. This will help you grip the ruler. I also use both gloves when machine quilting; I just cannot get a grip on the fabric otherwise.
I have extremely dry skin and cannot 'grip' the fabric. I found the gloves, finger stalls etc were a pain when I wanted to thread fabric, and rubber gloves took the skin from my hands. Then I saw Patricia Naylor's solution. She uses a small anti slip mat that is put under cups and bowls when cooking. She places the mat under her hand whilst quilting. I find it the best solution. My hands are conveniently free for threading, etc, the mat is easily placed, and there is a wide surface contact. I post this in case others have had similar problems with sensitive skin.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 AM

Samplers are my favorite. I love the stories behind each block. I am now getting ready to make a quilt with 48 - 12" blocks - 6 across x 8 down. I have 48 different blocks - all 48 I have never made before - each one has three colors - dark, medium and light - all in the same fabric design. I have Clara Barton Museum fabric in a dark teal and tan, a medium tea dyed tan and a light tan background with teeny little dark teal flowers. I got all my designs from Quilter's Cache - went through each and every 12" and picked out the ones that used only three different fabrics. I am hoping it will be awesome. I can see it in my head, but I am hoping for the same when I am done.

I just finished one that had all different star blocks, some having up to six different colors. I am getting ready for the quilting on that one!

I keep track of the blocks that I use and at the same time I learn and write down the meaning of the block. "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too", "Cross and Crown", "Diamond Star" and how as they traveled from here to there the names of the blocks change. I would like to make a History Quilt and go as far back as I can in the US and make a quilt depicting important events and the treks by covered wagon from East to West and their hand quilting on bumpy roads. I would like to make a block from the Underground Railroad that tells the story of the route North from a clue in a block that is hanging from a fence rail.

The history of sampler quilts is so interesting because people literally put their soul into them, to remind them of where they came from and where they are going, friends they left behind and the what is there in the future. I made a memory quilt. It is all from one block, but each block tells a story. I wrote about each block and so someday after I have passed this mortal coil, there will be a history of me for my grandchildren and great grandchildren (I am not there yet - great grandchildren) to know about. What I was about, my parents, my sisters, our son, our grandchildren, Christmases, our dogs, our trips, where our families originated, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota and originally Germany, Sweden and Norway, my favorite tree (Gingko), the time I got snockered on Christmas Eve and played the organ at church for the Christmas Eve service - perfect!!!! It is all in the sampler, it is all in the book I wrote for each block. I pull it out open and Bess (see avatar) and I sit on it and I remember. Good memories, sad memories, but memories nonetheless.

I think everyone should make a memory quilt. Edie
Old 10-18-2010, 02:49 AM

I am finding you never stop learning, there is always something you have not had the time to try. It is a wonderful past time, pricey at times, but loads of fun!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 AM

Say, my dog has lots of quilts! All those experimental items can be used somehow, if only as potholders and blankets for the car and beach.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:10 AM

Careful, you could become a fabric hoarder. Some don't use fabric because they are afraid they will screw it up and others, like me, don't use it because then they won't have it any longer. LOL Happy quilting, sounds like you are doing great!
Originally Posted by janRN
I've been quilting for a long time and I still have fabric that I won't cut into because I'm afraid I'll screw up. I have so many practice blocks done I could cover my neighborhood in patchwork. Like they say, keep practicing--it does get easier. Your next project will go together much easier. Good luck and keep on quilting!!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:33 AM

If you can find a beginner class closeby its well worth the $$ to have someone there to ask at every step. Or maybe you can find a mentor. Join a quilt guild if there is one close to you. You will find most are very helpful, also the local quilt shop is usually a great place to go for questions.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:36 AM

Spring, my name is Summer. Lol! I'm pretty new, too. I guess I initially thought 1/4" was a "suggestion" and made my first blocks with absolute disregard for the seams. Thank goodness they were "crazy" so it didn't matter as much, but when squaring up time came it was a mess to get some too-small blocks to the right size!! I'm also a poor cutter, I veer away from my ruler and slice into perfectly good fabric. I think I also push too hard and go too fast.

Pinwheels sound fun! They are high up on my list to try.

Have fun with your practice quilt!