Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is so much harder then it looks. >

Quilting is so much harder then it looks.

Quilting is so much harder then it looks.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:37 AM

I'm with you on the straight lines...I can't cut a straight line, I can't draw a straight line and I can't walk a straight line...and I don't drink!!!!

I have trouble with a regular ruler but bought a June Tailor Shape Cut ruler and love it so much, I bought her Exact Eighths and Perfect Half-Square & Quarter Square Triangles rulers. Once everything is lined up, I can make several cuts and the fabric and ruler both behave better for me. She also has a Quarter Cut ruler and, when I find it either on sale or where I can use a percent off coupon, I plan to invest in it as well.

Once I read on this board about starching before cutting fabric, it made the cutting and the sewing much easier.

I put off trying half square triangles for a long time because they intimidated me. You are much braver than me!!!

You are very wise to step away when you get frustrated so you keep it enjoyable. Don't give up...it will get easier!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:39 AM

Spring , I Pm'd you, I probly live very close to you. If you contact Klassy Katz quilting shopin Bartlett, They have beginning quilting classes.When you get done you will have a really cute sampler wall quilt.Plus Im no expert but I would be glad to help you also.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:20 AM

[quote=laurlync]I'm with you on the straight lines...I can't cut a straight line, I can't draw a straight line and I can't walk a straight line...and I don't drink!!!!

I have trouble with a regular ruler but bought a June Tailor Shape Cut ruler and love it so much, I bought her Exact Eighths and Perfect Half-Square & Quarter Square Triangles rulers. Once everything is lined up, I can make several cuts and the fabric and ruler both behave better for me. She also has a Quarter Cut ruler and, when I find it either on sale or where I can use a percent off coupon, I plan to invest in it as well.

HST's are the easiest squares to make. I use a Fons and Porter Quarter Inch Seam Marker for it - it is the one where you make your two squares, ie 3-1/2x3-1/2 and you use the marker, measure from point to point, draw a line on each side of the marker, pin the fabric down, sew down the middle, cut the drawn lines, finger press and VOILA!!! a half square triangle. Very simple, very easy. 1/4square triangles you do exactly the same way only you cut your completed half square triangle and draw the lines the same way, sew and cut, finger press and VOILA again!!!!! 1/4 square triangles. I also have an OmniEdge that fits against your cutting mat and doesn't wiggle around. Perfect straight lines. Don't ever let anything intimidate you. You'll never do it.
It is more fun to make a mistake, see your mistake and correct it. That is how you learn and that's what makes quilting quilting! Fun! Edie (I talk just like I write or write just like I talk. I sure hope you understood what I was trying to say/write!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 04:25 AM

There are a couple of ways to help with hst's.

One is a pattern that you can sew along like thangles but here's a free link to print out:

http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml

The 2nd way is first to get a 220 grit piece of sandpaper and duct tape it around a small piece of cardboard. This will hold your block for you to make a line from cornor to cornor to draw your lines easily.

3rd you can make your blocks just a tad bit bigger and then square up to correct size.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 AM

I am glad I am not the only one with the same problem as you with getting everything together with the 1/4" seam and cutting. I talked to an experienced quilter at work and she told me it is all practice, practice, practice. So when I get frustrated with things not moving along and I'm not patient any more, I put down my project and go back again when I feel more fresh and energized. Also, I am even more determined to keep going because if everybody else can make something pretty, so can I and so can you! Funny thing is I am doing much better with hand quilting at this time - maybe that is my thing. However, I still want to machine quilt - it is all beautiful!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 AM

Be kind to yourself. That is not exactly a beginner's block! You will learn a tremendous amount doing it, but definitely an ambitious undertaking for a new quilter. Good for you. Keep us all posted on how you are doing. We're here to encourage. (Just as a special word of encouragement...my first full size quilt was a bargello! Not exactly intended for a beginner either! I'm pretty sure I sewed the whole thing twice learning how to make accurate 1/4 inch seams. I can laugh about it now, but there were days!)
Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 AM

If you can take a class for beginners or something simple it will pay for itself in savings on fabric alone. There are so many little tips that help you solve problems. I have learned that when I teach myself wrong it is hard to change. Glad you are pacing yourself...I do the same thing. Sewing is my fun time and I love putting on some music and sewing away!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:01 AM

I think pinwheels are alot harder than they look. Matching points is not easy.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:18 AM

Keep going...you'll find that you learn something new on every block and quilt you make. I started with simple quilts so I could really work on the basics such as squaring up the fabric, cutting accurately and getting the scan 1/4" perfected.
You'll also find that quilting is addictive!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 AM

I'm with quilt3311, if you have a LQS, take a beginner class. The tips are priceless. My LQS only charges $45 for the beginner classes. Also, take your time. It's not a job.