Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is so much harder then it looks. >

Quilting is so much harder then it looks.

Quilting is so much harder then it looks.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

For some reason the pinwheel didn't come up for me. But smitty is right- we all started just like you!! :D
Old 10-17-2010, 06:31 PM

I've been quilting for a long time and I still have fabric that I won't cut into because I'm afraid I'll screw up. I have so many practice blocks done I could cover my neighborhood in patchwork. Like they say, keep practicing--it does get easier. Your next project will go together much easier. Good luck and keep on quilting!!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:40 PM

I'm made a TON of quilts over the years, and I still learn something new.

When I first started, I made lots of wall size or throw sized quilts. This allowed my to try lots of techniques without getting burned out.

Good luck on your journey, and welcome to the 'dark side'!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the positive pep talk. I made myself stop tonight because I want the making of it to be a special treat to myself not a punishment...lol This pattern has two blocks per pinwheel design and I wanted to start on the second design but thats my special prize after I get my house work done tomorrow.

Smitty, I do have all the proper equipment. Not being able to cut a straight line is special trait that I have. I scrapbook and I cant cut a straight line on paper with the top of the line paper cutter either. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow Im pretty sure Im pushing too hard because my knuckles are white while Im pushing..lol You may be on to something there.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:53 PM

You are right. Learning to quilt will teach you that you never really knew what "accuracy" and "attention to detail" meant before!!
Then the light dawns for you, and you "get" it.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 PM

I do practice blocks to see if I like them in person other then just seeing them printed out. I like to see how easy it goes together. I use scrap fabric for them too. When I'm done with a block I finish it with batting, backing and binding then hang them on my walls in my sewing room.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:36 PM

I made many practice quilts and I've been sewing for a long time. Quilting is very rewarding, but not the easiest hobby to learn. Just keep concentrating on a few specific skills at a time.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Sounds to me like you are doing fantastic, considering it is your first, just keep it up and things will start to become second nature. I can't tell you how many cutters I destroyed by pressing too hard, I also learned to change my blades more often. You'll get it, we all started this way, and look how fantastic the quilts on here are. Taking a break is a good idea. There is always tomorrow. Best of wishes, keep up the good work. Also, count yourself lucky, you have this board as a sounding board.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 PM

I can't do straight lines either! Wow I want to learn pinwheels. I am learning paper piecing. It does the straight lines for me'. No quilt is perfect tho. Keep trying!! Have fun!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 PM

remember you are learning a new skill--dont be hard on your self --if you can get to lessons take a sampler block quilt i do not rearly like sampler quilts but learnt so many tricks it was well worth it