Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is so much harder then it looks. >

Quilting is so much harder then it looks.

Quilting is so much harder then it looks.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Well done, Spring! Just a hint on pinwheels...on the seams joining the HSTs squares, press them open...reduces bulk in the center when you quilt it. I find that if I press seams where there will be more then 4 layers of fabric in them open, it is much flatter and easier when I go to quilt it. I have had to use a hammer to try to flatten some of the hills my seams have created. Just easier to press a few seams open!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:27 PM

I am also just learning. I am making a table runner with machine embroidery designs on some of the blocks. I started a 24,000 stitch design and had less than 4000 stitches left when my bobbin really jammed up. I had to cut it off and I do not know how to get back to the place on my design to finish. I am framing that particular piece as part of my learn and grow gallery. I know a lot about it as I have been reading for several months, but my practical knowledge is another whole process...Bottom line for us I guess is just to hang in there. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:46 AM

The missouri Star Quilt Company has an amazing youtube channel. I enjoyed a hot cup of tea and watched many tuts this morning.

The biggest problem I am having right now is trying to have some self control when it comes to the fabric store.

Vannadine, I had a machine that did that to me non-stop for 4 years before I ran over it with my car.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Spring
The biggest problem I am having right now is trying to have some self control when it comes to the fabric store.
May I suggest Stashbusters, a yahoo group, where you will find lots of people who will encourage you to shop your stash before the store, make considered purchases, and have answers to so many questions/problems, quilting or not!! You can find them at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stashbuster/

It's nice to be accountable to someone for those splurges at the fabric shop - I know splurging...I've brought home over 400 yards from ONE shopping trip (quilt shop going out of business, who can resist $2.70/yard!).