Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has Anyone Heard of This Happening? >

Has Anyone Heard of This Happening?

Has Anyone Heard of This Happening?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:29 AM

Default Has Anyone Heard of This Happening?

ok - now I am buying a house with a complete fenced in yard for my 2 dogs so they could finaly run and stay safe. My sil told me that I should NEVER have them outside by themselves because there is a "ring" of small pet stealers that actually come into your back yard, take the dogs and sell them. I really didn't believe her at first - she said she was aware of it happening from the St Louis area thru the Ozarks. I mentioned this to my friend in Indiana and it actually happened to her several years ago.
So! How is it where YOU live, or had you heard about this before? Thanks!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 AM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

Yes, and if not for stealing , gates are opened for meanness or to let dogs out. If they are small dogs there are hawks and other raptors that will prey. If they are out you should watch them.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 AM
dd

There is always signs up around here. Big or small it doesn't matter. Some are never found. We found ours at the shelter even tho they told us they had no dogs matching that description.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:43 AM

Unfortunately, there are people who do that. Many of those dogs end up as training bait, for dog fighting.

Phoebe never goes outside by herself, due to hawks, owls, raccoons, etc.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Yes I have heard of this, however my dogs have such a fit I do not think a stranger could manage them. It also help to keep the gates locked.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:14 AM

I have also heard of this. From what I've heard it seems to be most prevalent in more urban settings. We have a 6 ft. high board-on-board stockade fence. Have 2 labs. We do let them in the yard by themselves. We live in a really small town so theft not much of an issue - although it did happen here once years ago as well. When the youngest one was a puppy (at 7 wks he was 15 lbs!) I/we did go outside with him. Mainly to make sure the turkey buzzards wouldn't think he was a snack as well as to make sure he did his potty chores.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 AM

Wow! I had no idea this was happening. There is such evil in the world.
My dog is old so she doesn't stay outside alone other than to go to the bathroom and we stand right there while she "goes". She isn't a barker either so when she was younger she would have been an easy dog to take.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Raine54RN View Post
Yes, and if not for stealing , gates are opened for meanness or to let dogs out. If they are small dogs there are hawks and other raptors that will prey. If they are out you should watch them.
Yes this. My friend had her miniature Doberman when she let it off the leash to go potty. She was right there. Around here I know too many small dogs that become snacks to wild life.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Yes it is true. This comes up every so often on the radio news, probably TV news also.
I started taking out my dogs about 20 years ago. Those dogs are gone but, I take out Cookie and will any dogs I get. Not really afraid of them being stolen, small fenced in yard hidden by house. The owls and other predators worry me more. It has been my experience dogs left outside only barks and annoys other people. Some are teased or mistreated also. It is best to not take chances.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:46 AM

We have had this problem here in Kent, UK recently, and other parts of the country alot of them are particular breeds which they take for dog baiting - feel so sorry for anyone this has happened to as you would never know the outcome. They have even taken them whilst out for a walk with their owners, one of them distracts the owner and another one takes the dog, bundles them into a nearby vehicle and they are gone - horrible horrible people