Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has a study ever been done? >

Has a study ever been done?

Has a study ever been done?

Old 05-24-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
Hey Stitchripper, I have seen studies where "over cleaning" is actually bad for your health. I grew up on a farm with animals, dirt, etc. and a one-room school with a water bucket and dipper as did many of our generation. We kept our house as Mom used to say "Clean enough to be healthy, and dirty enough to be happy." My MIL house was a museum where the grandkids could not touch, or even stay (we always got a hotel). Sometimes Moderation is good. Yes, bearisgray I have been the original owner and hope when I donate it someone else appreciates it too.
I've heard the same thing. My mother wasn't overly concerned about us getting germs. I remember her telling a story about letting me sit and play in a mud puddle when I was a toddler and the lady next door coming out and telling her she shouldn't do that because of germs. My mother said "A few germs never hurt anybody. How else will she build up any immunity?" I think she was right.

And, yes, someone has to be the original owner. I donate a lot of clothes just because I'm tired of them or they are out of style/don't fit/just don't like anymore. I always hope that someone else buys them who will appreciate them.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I think I would bet that a freshly washed garment purchased at a yard sale where the garage is immaculate would be as "clean" or "cleaner" than almost any garment found in a department store.