Have a College Student?

Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 PM

So I'm starting College this fall (yeah I was just as shocked as you are... or at least as shocked as my parents were... ;) ) and I'm looking for places to get Dorm stuff and what not... And yes there are great sales through out the summer where you can buy what you need, but some things are somewhat hard to find... like a tote meant for toting your shampoo and toothpaste... I was looking for one last summer... and I could not find one I liked...

In my look for Twin XL sheets (which I can get at walmart or target) I found a site called www.dormbuys.com and they have a ton of items for the college dorm... just thought I'd pass that along...

Also, you are able to create a gift registry on the site and send it to relatives or friends who want to help your college student... I have yet to check that out... and I'm not sure I will...
Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 AM

My daughter stole my picnic container that holds silverware, paper plates and such for her bath tote. It is a plastic coated metal and has compartments for silverware, napkins, etc. I got it back when she was done with it and now I have it on my bathroom counter holding curling irons, mouthwash and such.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 AM

Check the local classifieds --- especially now that spring semester is winding down.

You can get things like a fridge/tv/storage stuff from graduating/non-returning students.

=)
Old 04-26-2010, 04:35 AM

PSU has a huge yard sale right at the end of the year at the football stadium. you can find anything you could possibly want there. See if they have anything like that in your area.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:37 AM

I have one that is graduating this Saturday with her Masters and have another one in college who has another year and half..it has been tough...
Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 AM

We have 3 college students currently and still one more to go in 14 months. We hope to survive. :D
Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM

I went to dormbuys.com because fairly soon granddaughter will be going to college. Personally I think they're overpriced. I think we'll hit thrift stores, and yard sales.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM

Lands End used to make a neat caddy that unfolded and you could hang it in the shower. A friend gave both of my kids one when they went to college. Hope you enjoy your college years as much as my children did. Several friends have told me that Ikea has some great things at pretty good prices too.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 AM

Ouch! That really hits the pocketbook. But sounds like you're well on your way to surviving with three already in.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:53 PM

I posted it as a tool... some of the stuff on there is not that badly priced... some things are though... I'm using this as a last resort though... bringing up the shower caddy again, I had one in mind... we went to get it from the store that had it... and they were gone... so we went looking for it and were unable to find it... I picket out a different one this year, and they are sold year round at Wal Mart... not fancy buy has a handle thats what matters...

I already have the mini fridge picked out at Best Buy... I'm going to Anna's Linens for sheets and stuff... I'm probably going to make a quilt or two...

I'm trying to choose between desk top or lap top... I can get a good desk top from Dell that has a small pc tower... but lots of power... plus might be cheaper than the laptop... but having a laptop I can use it where ever... idk...

I also need to look into property insurance so that if anything is stolen or what not I'll be able to replace it...

But for right now, I'm working on getting the rest of the money for school.