Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you ever made receiving blankets? >

Have you ever made receiving blankets?

Have you ever made receiving blankets?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 PM

Default Have you ever made receiving blankets?

Has anyone ever made flannel receiving blankets just using two fabrics, birthing, and then stitching around the whole thing? Since there is no batting, do you sew anything in the middle or just the outside edge? It seems like it would get a little weird after washing without more stitching on it.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 PM

I would sew at least several lines down the middle, to keep it flat.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:02 PM

I've made them with 1 layer and then used crochet thread and crocheted an edging around them. They turned out super cute! I have another granddaughter being born in Oct...maybe I need to get out my flannel and crochet thread!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 PM

I stitch a largish square in the middle
Old 09-03-2013, 03:07 PM

I do the same as Diannia. I wash and dry the flannel - cut a 36 inch square, round the corners (using a plate), serge the edges then crochet a shell stitch around the edge. I have a whole stock pile of these blankets - some done by my Mother- these are for my grandkids when they have their babies. I buy my flannel when Hancock's has the fabric on sale for $2.00 per yard! I have 4 left to crochet around this year. Have never done two fabrics.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:29 PM

I also make 36" square receiving blankets. I get 1 yd of fabric and square it to be 36" then I double fold the edges and stitch leaving the corners square. I do not make them double since I think they will be too thick for babies. I give these as gifts and they are really appreciated since the usual 30" square blankets are too small for older then 3mo sold. From the extra 8-9" that you cut off you can make matching burp cloths by flolding them in half and stitching or by lining them with terry cloth. Or you can sew then leftover strips together and make a baby quilt with them.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
I've made them with 1 layer and then used crochet thread and crocheted an edging around them. They turned out super cute! I have another granddaughter being born in Oct...maybe I need to get out my flannel and crochet thread!
I've also made them with single layers of what I call crinkle crepe and croched around them. The flannel and the crepe blankets are really nice. In the summer, the crepe blankets make very nice cover ups for nursing mothers. I like to make the blankets 45" square to give a little more room and round the edges. They are also nice to cover up a baby when the weather is hot. The baby is covered but not as hot as blankets made out of other types of fabric. You can always add layers, single, double flannel or a quilt.

Last edited by serenitybygrace; 09-03-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I have made them - more than 40 years ago! When I was pregnant in 1969 with my second child, I bought $8 worth of flannel at 33 cents per yard - that's 24 yards!!! at Montgomery Wards and made myself a whole layette from it. I made receiving blankets, and all kinds of other baby clothes, assembly-line fashion. Then two days before the baby was born (already a week overdue) my husband got orders for us to move to Hawaii. The baby was well over 9 pounds at birth, already grown out of many of the things I had made, and most of the clothing was too warm for Hawaii anyway. But that's not what you asked. I don't remember stitching through the middle of the flannel blankets, and I had never heard of quilting at that time, so I probably didn't. I also made receiving blankets from seersucker, and those were the best! Big and soft and lightweight. I used them for that baby and for the next two also. The most important thing with receiving blankets, in my opinion, is to make them large enough, and have plenty.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:48 PM

I do them in two layers because they go to a hospital in a needy area. Many of the mothers have nothing for their babies to go home in. The two layers makes them nice and warm. I use 2 different fabrics so they can be reversed. I stitch them right sides together leaving an opening for turning. (I make round the corners.) After turning I do a zig zag all around the edges and then I wash them. No problem with them puckering or getting funny. I make them width of fabric x about 45 so they are actually rectangles. It's just easier to cut that way - less measuring and the baby can keep using the blanket long after infancy. They are long enough to be folded in half for extra warmth.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:52 PM

Thank you for all the replies everyone, I feel better. You ladies that said you used one layer and crocheted around them...I would LOVE to see a picture of that. It sounds darling!