Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you ever made receiving blankets? >

Have you ever made receiving blankets?

Have you ever made receiving blankets?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Plisse also makes nice baby blankets. It is lighter and very soft.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:08 PM

My MIL made mine from flannel and they were double but she tied them The went thru my 4 and my SIL 2, then I gave them away.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:31 PM

I buy 2 -- 1 1/4 yards pieces of flannel because I like to see the pretty side on both sides. I do sew about a 10 inch square in the center after they have been turned to keep the quilts together. This is the way I was instructed to do them. Because my children were very long, I like the bigger sizes. The store ones were always to small. My DIL asked I make her girls even loner ones as they grew because it was the right weight for using in the car or stroller and easy to carry around..
Old 09-04-2013, 08:10 PM

The ones I did were either flannel or seersucker, depending on the season. Some I just hemmed around the edges, others I made double and turned inside out then stitched about an inch or so inside the edge. I also did bibs and burp cloths out of the flannel.
Oh and a few of them I did with the triangle "hood" in the corner like they have on some of the baby towels.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:46 AM

I have made many of them with 2 pieces of washed flannel and birthed them and then did a decorative stitch about an 1 1/2" from the edge they never get wonky
Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 AM

I always make these for baby showers esp at our church. I would probably be blackballed if I didn't bring them. I cut mine about 42 inch square and use two different prints so they are reversible. I prewash, iron well and then cut because flannel sometimes shrinks wonky. I put them together right sides together, stitch with 1/2 inch of so seam leaving an opening on one side to turn them right side out. I iron them to get a nice sharp, even seam and then stitch around the outside edge about 1/4 inch. They really look cute with a serpentine stitch or simple embroidery stitch. Varigated thread looks good too. I don't put any tacks in the middle, because the flannel seems to stick to itself really well and it does not pull apart when washed and dried. One of my favorite ways to use these is to do two blankets, several burp clothes, maybe a bib or two and then use one of the blankets to wrap the package using yarn for my ribbon. They are very popular with my church gals and since they are bigger they last for a few years as a comfort blankie. My niece who just turned 40 still has one of hers, but boy is it threadbare. I make up several sets in boy, girl and neutral colors and have them on hand for last minute gifts.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:59 AM

I make mine from two 45 inch squares of flannel, seersucker, cotton, or plisse. Occasionally I will make a one layer receiving blanket for a more lightweight covering. My mother and grandmother made these before me, and I have been making them for the past 58 years. I also make crib size ones that are about 45 inches wide by 60 inches. I sew all of these like the other ladies, by stitching them right sides together, leaving about a six inch opening on one side. I turn them and use a straight stitch to top stitch the edges; decorative stitches also would look nice to finish the edges. After top stitching the edges, I sew two rows of decorative stitches around the quilt. I use the width of the sewing machine throat as the marker for the first row of stitching that I do. The next row is usually measured out from a cardboard from a bias tape package or a few inches by a ruler. Since my stitches are limited, I prefer a pretty scallop. The larger blankets are wonderful for older children. Friends have been enjoying these for many years. I started making simple baby washcloths a few years ago out of cotton t shirt type knit. I make them ten or twelve inches square and make them the same way as the receiving blankets. I double them, top stitch the edge, but don't sew the layers together in the center. New mothers have told me that the wash cloths were great because they were so soft and large.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:22 PM

Beautiful receiving blankets! Wish I could crochet!

Originally Posted by quiltingmimipj View Post
Try again.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:22 AM

I love the crocheted edge but how do you start/attach yarn to fabric?