View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Rose Burnett

I make mine from two 45 inch squares of flannel, seersucker, cotton, or plisse. Occasionally I will make a one layer receiving blanket for a more lightweight covering. My mother and grandmother made these before me, and I have been making them for the past 58 years. I also make crib size ones that are about 45 inches wide by 60 inches. I sew all of these like the other ladies, by stitching them right sides together, leaving about a six inch opening on one side. I turn them and use a straight stitch to top stitch the edges; decorative stitches also would look nice to finish the edges. After top stitching the edges, I sew two rows of decorative stitches around the quilt. I use the width of the sewing machine throat as the marker for the first row of stitching that I do. The next row is usually measured out from a cardboard from a bias tape package or a few inches by a ruler. Since my stitches are limited, I prefer a pretty scallop. The larger blankets are wonderful for older children. Friends have been enjoying these for many years. I started making simple baby washcloths a few years ago out of cotton t shirt type knit. I make them ten or twelve inches square and make them the same way as the receiving blankets. I double them, top stitch the edge, but don't sew the layers together in the center. New mothers have told me that the wash cloths were great because they were so soft and large.