Have you ever?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 AM

I joined a craft club as a lifetime member a couple years ago because I really enjoyed the magazine they offered and you get lifetime member perks, like testing new products.
Recently I started receiving a magazine called Creating Keepsakes for scrapbookers. I don't scrapbook, have no intrest in scrapbooking and feel the magazine is a waste. I sent a polite email asking that they no longer send the magazine as I didn't want to see the magazine go to waste. I received a reply that told me the only way I could cancel the magazine was to quit my already paid lifetime membership, which is non-refundable. During the whole email, they didn't even address the fact that this is a magazine that is only directed at a certain group of their memebership, the rest will just have to deal with the inconvience.
I get that magazines go out of business and that substitutions sometimes need to be made, but if they are going to do that they need to consider the needs of the entire membership, not just one group of the membership.
Okay thanks for listening and while i'm still miffed at their "oh well" attitude I know their is nothing to do about it but accept that I am only getting part of what I paid for. Sometimes that is just what happens these days. LOL
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I never heard of a lifetime membership to something craft related. Was it expensive?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 AM

I think I have heard of that, it doesn't seem like very good customer service.

How is the testing new products thing working out for you? Have you gotten anything good?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Donate the magazines to your local library or to a community center. somebody will love them. :-)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:31 AM

Hey there might be some good applique patterns in it.

And i'm with the rest. courious about membership.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Just write refused on the cover of the mag. put it back in the mail. The ccompany will then have to pay for the return postage, and I bet they will stop sending it to you. It worked for me when I got some mags that I didn't want.
Marilee
Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Donate the magazines to your local library or to a community center. somebody will love them. :-)
I never thought of that. Maybe the senior center or wonder if the boys and girls club could use them. Will have to check into it.

Product testing is just so so. I've tested two products, both having something to do with either painting (I don't paint) or scrapbooking (well I already said I don't scrapbook.) One was water color pencils. Draw like colored pencils then brush with water. The other things were little mounting glue spots. Not very useful for me. I'm still trying to figure out how with my questionaire they thought either of these things would be of use to me. I guess I should have gotten a hint that they are not directing their products to anyone other than scrapbookers.
The cost wasn't cheap and I did get a few really cool craft totes, but the magazine is the main reason I even joined. Oh well that won't happen again.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM

I wouldn't send it back because they might take it as you don't want to be a member any longer. Since you paid for the lifetime membership and probably can't get your money back-I'd just donate what I don't want to local charity groups. Girl Scouts, senior centers etc.

Maybe they'll start sending more quilting stuff sometime...and Pam's right-could have some great applique patterns.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 PM

Been there done that only when I quit the things I bought from them they charged me full price so I owed them I flat told them that I was not paying it
Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
I wouldn't send it back because they might take it as you don't want to be a member any longer. Since you paid for the lifetime membership and probably can't get your money back-I'd just donate what I don't want to local charity groups. Girl Scouts, senior centers etc.

Maybe they'll start sending more quilting stuff sometime...and Pam's right-could have some great applique patterns.
That is why I won't send the magazine back, because i'm afraid that they will think im quiting.
I did send a second email informing them that I AM NOT quiting my membership highlighted. But expressed my frustration at their attitude that members who do not scarpbook will just have to be inconveinced.
If I did quit and they sent me a bill for stuff that had already been sent; I would be inclined to tell them where they could stuff their bill, I already paid for it.