Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you heard about this??  What will they think of next? >

Have you heard about this?? What will they think of next?

Have you heard about this?? What will they think of next?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Good Grief how awful!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Hi Sadiemae hope your doing well. sometimes I think putting these things on tv and such just gives others the same ideas.Like you said shouldn't have to advertise NOT to do this. Makes you wonder what's goin on these days. I never had enough free time to do much of anything when I was younger. Mary
Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

I just never knew these things were happening. I live very close to the tracks in my hometown. Kids don't have any interest in them, and if they did the police would be there in a heartbeat. There are a few kids that run the streets, but very few. They are kept very busy with school, church, etc... I think I am really glad I don't live in a big city.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Me too. Population here is a little over 700 No tracks in our town. but I don't even live in town.Nearest tracks are about 15 miles away. Mary
Old 09-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

We have several deaths a year around here that are pedestrian/messing around RR track related, and others left with serious injuries... when will people learn to stay away from these tracks?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:25 AM

I saw the same thing on tv and my first thought was they deserve to lose life or limb; then my "better self" thought they must be really bored to do this, not just stupid. I wonder if there are any activities for kids this age to do in this area. With unemployment so high and no tax base our town has cut out so many things. The kids around here do something called "car surfing" where they stand on the roof of a car and the driver drives around a parking lot or street trying to have them fall off. One young girl was severely injured. These are our future leaders.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:19 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by janRN
I saw the same thing on tv and my first thought was they deserve to lose life or limb; then my "better self" thought they must be really bored to do this, not just stupid. I wonder if there are any activities for kids this age to do in this area. With unemployment so high and no tax base our town has cut out so many things. The kids around here do something called "car surfing" where they stand on the roof of a car and the driver drives around a parking lot or street trying to have them fall off. One young girl was severely injured. These are our future leaders.
I commend you for having a better self, guess I don't about this sort of thing. :|
I don't believe kids today are taught the value of life, of self control, of personal responsibility, or the skill to apologize. They learn their moral code from rock/rap stars, video games and TV.

Because they can't reason - it isn't taught in school, rote memorization is - they are unable to fathom the dangers of their behavior At that age, it's natural for the brain to think it's immortal.

In schools we have no more Golden Rule.
No more prayer, deep "thought for the day".
No more writing "I will not talk out in class" (or whatever) on the blackboard 150 times.
No more "staying in" from recess or after school for misbehaving.
And very few parents any more who will "put the fear of God into you!" after being called by the principal about their kid.

Every day I meet more and more home schooling families who are just sick and tired of worrying about the failure of our public school system. "It ain't your grandma's day anymore!"

Jan in VA :cry:
Old 09-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

No is isn't granma's day anymore but it could be better. It's never too late. Too bad it takes both parents working a paid job to support a family. My sons are 37 and 45 and both are over 6ft. they both know I will take them down in a hot minute if they show disrepect. and I am in poor health. they could put me down in a hot minute too but wouldn't dare. Mary
Old 09-18-2010, 12:56 PM

Funny, I was just reading about some culture where women who wanted to get pregnant would lie face up on the tracks and let the train go over them. Face down if they wanted to terminate a pregnancy. Weird.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
Hi Sadiemae hope your doing well. sometimes I think putting these things on tv and such just gives others the same ideas.Like you said shouldn't have to advertise NOT to do this. Makes you wonder what's goin on these days. I never had enough free time to do much of anything when I was younger. Mary
I agree, sometimes it seems people don't think of doing something like this unless they hear it from some source. Would love to keep the whole world safe and happy but can't.