Old 09-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by janRN
I saw the same thing on tv and my first thought was they deserve to lose life or limb; then my "better self" thought they must be really bored to do this, not just stupid. I wonder if there are any activities for kids this age to do in this area. With unemployment so high and no tax base our town has cut out so many things. The kids around here do something called "car surfing" where they stand on the roof of a car and the driver drives around a parking lot or street trying to have them fall off. One young girl was severely injured. These are our future leaders.
I commend you for having a better self, guess I don't about this sort of thing. :|
I don't believe kids today are taught the value of life, of self control, of personal responsibility, or the skill to apologize. They learn their moral code from rock/rap stars, video games and TV.

Because they can't reason - it isn't taught in school, rote memorization is - they are unable to fathom the dangers of their behavior At that age, it's natural for the brain to think it's immortal.

In schools we have no more Golden Rule.
No more prayer, deep "thought for the day".
No more writing "I will not talk out in class" (or whatever) on the blackboard 150 times.
No more "staying in" from recess or after school for misbehaving.
And very few parents any more who will "put the fear of God into you!" after being called by the principal about their kid.

Every day I meet more and more home schooling families who are just sick and tired of worrying about the failure of our public school system. "It ain't your grandma's day anymore!"

Jan in VA :cry: