Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you upgraded to Microsft 10??? >

Have you upgraded to Microsft 10???

Have you upgraded to Microsft 10???

Old 08-17-2015, 04:36 PM

I downloaded it to my husband's laptop last week, after I discussed with our techie person if I should or not. No problems after the initial long time to download, except for a problem with start up that I googled on my phone and fixed right away. I haven't put it on my laptop yet as it's in the shop for warranty work.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
I think the "free" if only for a free trial after which you have to buy it.
No the free is for a full version and no later fees. Like I said, I signed up for the free version but will wait to actually install it. You do need to make sure you have the latest updates for 7 and 8.1, it will not work on xp. You can go to Microsoft and they'll scan your pc to check for potential issues with your system. You have one year to install it. We won't install it at work until all of our software companies have their systems compatible. no matter how good 10 may or may not be if it isn't compatible with what you use for business or pleasure it does no good. I'd check with Viking first to see if they've made 5D or 6D compatible yet. And go to Microsoft's web site and let them check your system. It only takes a few minutes and may avoid potential problems.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I upgraded my Win 8 laptop and then downloaded Classic Shell to make it run more like Win 7. I was running Win 8.1 under Classic Shell also. Other than a very slow process (5 hours), I haven't had any problems. BUT on my main computer running Win 7, I'm going to wait until October. I read that there will be a large update then and some computer experts are recommending holding off until the major update is done. In the meantime I have to put up with the VERY ANNOYING Win 10 notification popup screen. I wish I could disable it.
I agree with disableing the popup, but at least its free. I'm willing to wait to download it as well. I just wanted to get it while it was free. I work with computers and know microsofts history so I'm always careful. I think they were offering this as free as a way to make up for 8,. I hadn't heard about the shell though. I have one with 7 and 1 with 8.1 and hate the way 8 is, can't find anything. Which is my only issue with it
Old 08-18-2015, 09:19 AM

I upgraded with no problems. I agree with other posts that you need to check to be sure your software will be compatible with the upgrade. Gotta do your homework first.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
I am worried that my Embroidery Module 5D my not work if I change it. Have received notice I can upgrade to 10 free!!! What to do???
I got the same message on my laptop. I didn't upgrade to Microsoft 10, because I'm afraid that my EQ6 won't work with it.
Sharon in Texas
Old 08-18-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
We did and I HATE it.
Me too. I lost one of my big files from my desktop. Wish I had well enough alone.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:21 AM

As I reported in my previous post, I downloaded Windows 10 and also have not been happy
with it. I contacted my Son, (who is a software engineer) and asked if I could go back and he
gave me this link, so I am going to do it.
You can check it out here.http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-...dows-7-or-8.1/
Hope this helps.